TAC MATCHLESS RECAP

Graham Langley founded Amek in 1973 with Nick Franks. Since then, AMEK and TAC recording consoles have been the choice of demanding audio professionals for over 25 years.

Moderator: Matt Syson

Postby brianroth » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:19 am

Hello again, Matt, and thanks for all of your useful comments.

The new home for the Matchless includes a machine room that happens to be located to the LEFT of the control room (and hence the desk), so the DC cables have to run the distance down to floor level, to the wall in front of the desk, along the length of the desk (within a wiring chase behind the front wall of the CR), then to the final location of the PSU inside of the machine room. I guesstimated that at 25 feet. Now that construction is well-along, I can take some actual field measurements to verify my estimates.

12 AWG (3.3mm^2) is a fairly common wire size available in flexible/stranded configurations, but will obviously require a new power inlet at the desk to accomodate the large conductors. I am considering the substitution of an AMP (Tyco Industries) CPC connector for this application, or perhaps something as simple as a barrier strip.

However, I'll know much more tomorrow sfter reviewing the new studio site, and refreshing my memory about the OEM power supply, cabling and connectors at the existing studio where the Matchless now sits.

Bri
brianroth
Yacht Rocker

Postby Matt Syson » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:40 am

Hi
Any decent robust connector would do or indeed 'barrier strip' as
not many people consider the desk to be a 'portable appliance' so taking 5 minutes with a screwdriver to unhook it is not a problem, cheap weedy connectors with poor contacts are! If using barrier strip, use suitable lugs on the end to get a reliable connection.
Matt S
Matt Syson
Engineer

Re: TAC MATCHLESS RECAP

Postby themixfarm » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:29 pm

after all these years i try to get in touch.... want / need to recap the PSU of a Matchless.... anyone got schematics for me? i got the whole console, but not the PSU. any capicitor list would be great as well. i like the desk.... i must say, but need to get rid of the Huming everywhere.....
themixfarm
Analog Owner

Re: TAC MATCHLESS RECAP

Postby Matt Syson » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:04 pm

Hi
Simply replace the capacitors 'like for like'.
There are not many different values used so ordering should be simple.
I am assuming here that any 'hum' you are trying to fix is DOUBLE your mains frequency (100/120Hz) and not the mains frequency itself (50/60 Hz) as this is likely NOT to be the power supply itself.
Matt S
Matt Syson
Engineer

Previous

Return to AMEK & TAC Recording Consoles