Power Supply Help Needed - TAC Scorpion II

Graham Langley founded Amek in 1973 with Nick Franks. Since then, AMEK and TAC recording consoles have been the choice of demanding audio professionals for over 25 years.

Moderator: Matt Syson

Re: Power Supply Help Needed - Blue Dog Power Supplies

Postby studiotim24 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:46 am

June 2016 , Just to say I have sold my 350 th ! Blue Dog power supply and to my knowledge not one unit has failed, Im very chuffed about that : there are some great reviews on my facebook site :BlueDogPowerSupplies if you'd care to have a look :
And I once again PLEASE ANALOGUE CONSOLE .com site administrators will you remove the original POST from Paul Imagineering from 2013 as it is STILL coming up on a GOOGLE SEARCH ENGINE 3 years later , its BOGUS and probably damaging my reputation /sales . Yours faithfully Tim "Blue Dog " Jones
studiotim24
Analog Owner

Re: Power Supply Help Needed - TAC Scorpion II

Postby studiotim24 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:48 am

Thanks MAtt , I think I followed an old GOOGLE link this morning , thats the power of the internet :) thanks again :)
studiotim24
Analog Owner

Postby jensenmann » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:19 am

One of my customers runs his TAC Matchless with a Blue Dog supply and has never had any issues with it, since years, 5 working days a week. Thanks to my modifications in the desk the load on the PSU is 50% higher than with an unmodded desk. The PSU take that increased load with no problems whatsoever.
Being not afilliated with Tim I just wanted to give some thumbs-up for his product.
Jens
jensenmann
Yacht Rocker

Postby AnalogStudio7 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:49 pm

Never had any luck running my consoles with switcher PSUs. Either put too much noise into the console audio or the darn units would die an early death. They don;t seem to last very long, in my experience.

I've been with my 4 old school non-switcher type PSUs for more than 10 years now. The 2 switcher PSUs I owned, one lasted a little over two years and the other died after 3 months. Got a replacement for it and it died almost a year later but had bad noise issues (like a whine sound in the audio) before then.

Just my personal experience. The switchers just are not as durable in my experience. My old school units cost more up front, but they never give me any troubles and have lasted for decades now. So more bang for the buck.

Again, just my personal opinion and experiences with 4 consoles and a mix of switcher and linear types of PSU systems.

Cheers!

Greg
AnalogStudio7
Lake Forest, CA 92630
USA
AnalogStudio7
Yacht Rocker

Postby Matt Syson » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:43 am

Hi
The various 'problems' experienced by either switcher or linear supply can be predicted to a fair extent but the bottom line is that a good, very reliable supply is likely to be expensive.
If your mains supply tends to have significant high voltage (short duration spike type) surges for example, a linear is possibly more robust.
Of course switcher technology has come a long way over the last 20 years so comparing new units with the older types may not be fair.
Other aspects I have already covered in previous posts.
Best
Matt S
Matt Syson
Engineer

Postby jensenmann » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:37 am

+1
In my dayjob I run and maintain a facility with >20 consoles + all the other necessary infrastructure. There were a few years from when I started there in 2005 to 2010 in which SM-PSUs were very unreliable. I had app 30 dead switchmode supplies in various gear, audio, light, video, theatre machinery, etc. None of the linear supplies died. In the gear aquired after 2010 I had no failure in a SM-supply. I guess manufacturers realized that investing in a fraction of a cent for higher powerrated zeners and other bits and pieces improves reliability a long way.
Jens
jensenmann
Yacht Rocker

Previous

Return to AMEK & TAC Recording Consoles