Magnum Channel Issues

Graham Langley founded Amek in 1973 with Nick Franks. Since then, AMEK and TAC recording consoles have been the choice of demanding audio professionals for over 25 years.

Moderator: Matt Syson

Magnum Channel Issues

Postby siegfriedmeier » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:41 pm

Hey everyone,

So we recapped our entire console and it just sounds glorious - highly underrated consoles in my opinion. I have 2 channels, which I've stuck in the chn 25/26 location for now that still have the same issues though after recapping. One will not pan right in the monitor side no matter what I do, and the other has a strange buzzy distortion throughout - I also noticed that signal was leaking from the tape input into the monitor input, even with the pot all the way down on that 2nd module - seems like those 2 things might be related on that channel.

Any idea where to start looking for these issues? We've only got 24 channels connected to the bay at this time, but those extra 2 strips would really come in handy.

Thanks!
Sig
siegfriedmeier
Krafty Luddite

Re: Magnum Channel Issues

Postby siegfriedmeier » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:06 pm

I have one more crazy issue that's driving me nuts...hopefully I can explain it well enough.

I have the EDAC line inputs, tape inputs and buss outputs all wired up to another bay in my gear rack, along with all my outboard and Pro Tools rig. Every channel and buss works perfect, except for chn 5 line in on the console. I get a crazy ground hum if either a) the EDAC is connected to the patchbay or b) I patch line in directly on the console patchbay.

1. if I have both disconnected, no hum - this would seem it's not the console fault

2. I've swapped channels, it's still there

3. I've checked the patchbay and cable, all is solid there. Routing the connection to any other input on the console or direct to monitors produces no hum, so it's not the bay or the cabling there

4. if I patch my trafo balanced Neve mic preamps directly into line in 5, the hum is mostly gone...

5. the monitor tape path is fine - it's only the main channel/line in path that is giving me this hum

I've spent 2 days trying to figure this out now, making me crazy. Is it something inside the console? Where can I look?
siegfriedmeier
Krafty Luddite

Return to AMEK & TAC Recording Consoles