SSM2016

Graham Langley founded Amek in 1973 with Nick Franks. Since then, AMEK and TAC recording consoles have been the choice of demanding audio professionals for over 25 years.

Moderator: Matt Syson

SSM2016

Postby countryrockstar » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:43 pm

I know this is not strictly a new topic but I would like to try and get an up to date answer, mid sentance when buying a tac magum it suddenly became "sold" to another when I mentioned I had checked the circuit diagrams and there was one chip I had never heard of and was a little concerned if I could not get these it would truly earn its name as a desk! Is it the God's honest truth that these SSM2016 so called wonder chips that were only produced specificaly for high end analogue mixers are no longer made and imposible to obtain and oh so easy to damage? oh and what about the SSM2402 "click free" FET switches?
P.S. how do I make the spell checker work?
countryrockstar
Analog Enthusiast

Re: SSM2016

Postby Jim Williams » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:38 am

2016's were used in the AMEK 2520 console. Made by PMI, these are long obsolete. Nothing to get excited about, as I made some pre's with that part. A good opamp and a couple of discrete transistors could easily best those.

I used SSM2402 switches on custom moving fader designs built for Broadway productions. OK for live, not great for recording. A couple of discrete jfets into an inverting opamp stage and a good biasing scheme can best those parts. The selling part of the SSM2402 was the timed ramp-up, 2 ms. 10 ms versions were also available.

The older SSM2015 (A Dan Park's design from SSM) was used in the Magnum and Matchless consoles.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Jim Williams
Yacht Rocker

Postby countryrockstar » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:13 am

Thanks Jim I am new to this forum but would be pleased to chat now and again to some one in the trade.
I have retired from real work now due to long term illness but have been asked by some one from K.I.C.t.v. to up grade my museum 4 track studio to 24/36 but still analogue This was in the manual I was lent for the TAC Magnum I was about to pay £999.00 for 36/24 with patchbay. It shows the SSM2016.
SSM2016.JPG
SSM2016
SSM2016.JPG (37.41 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
Can you help, are all the range of Amek's from the tac magnum through to the Einstein, the top of the line as I understand, fitted with this SSM2016/SSM2015 so they are no more than an expensive source of spare parts as even producing 36 of my track teck front ends would at £27.75 each double the price without labour!
Even this basic circuit with a few additions if I remember worked well down at 124db, is that still a worthwhile S/N Ratio?
Mic Input 2.JPG
bit tattered and I can't remember if it all there!

What I really want is an old 1970's 36/24 Harrison but I assume there are none available simply because they are still so very useful.
Mike Baker see my studio in B/W on https://www.facebook.com/mike.baker.9083477
and thanks for your help.
countryrockstar
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Jim Williams » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:24 am

I can't view those pics but the 2016 should do about -127 dbu at +60 db of gain. A low noise pair of transistors with a quiet opamp can yield -133 db EIN at 50 ohms.
I have layouts for converting 2015 layouts to a discrete/hybrid mic preamp design like the PIP module that retrofits the 2017 chips.
That preamp does -132 db EIN at 50 ohms with a 60v/us slew rate.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Jim Williams
Yacht Rocker

Postby countryrockstar » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:54 am

Don’t know why the jpgs don’t download? but thanks anyway, those figures sound great, do you mean if I had bought the Amek Einstein as I assume that is the most up to date model. That as and if the SSM2016 chips had failed I could replace them with a circuit from you that I could construct as a discrete little circuit board? I really like the concept of these Amek Mixers and to be sure of continuity would be great.
Mike Baker
P.s I have tried several ways of placing jpegs below the size they say maximum but all I get is the label in a box and errors when I try and open. I look through the F.A.Qs
countryrockstar
Analog Enthusiast

Postby countryrockstar » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:20 pm

Jim I am still looking for how to get picture on board?

Jim Williams wrote:I can't view those pics but the 2016 should do about -127 dbu at +60 db of gain. A low noise pair of transistors with a quiet opamp can yield -133 db EIN at 50 ohms.
I have layouts for converting 2015 layouts to a discrete/hybrid mic preamp design like the PIP module that retrofits the 2017 chips.
That preamp does -132 db EIN at 50 ohms with a 60v/us slew rate.

I says about pictures (Can I post images? Yes, images can be shown in your posts. If the administrator has allowed attachments, you may be able to upload the image to the board. Otherwise, you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag.) still means nothing to me I'll have to do without picture till I get the hang of it,
Mike Baker
countryrockstar
Analog Enthusiast

Postby roadbear » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:40 pm

You could start by contacting AML to see if they have a source for new SSM2016's or also try Dave Rochester (http://www.techaud.com), he may know of a source as well. Then if you are at a complete loss, then you can consider the Mic Pre upgrades that are available from AML for that console. (http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalo ... _info.html)

Hope that helps you out!
roadbear
Tape Operator

Postby roadbear » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:42 pm

Sorry, I send the link to the AML Langley Scorpion upgrade. My mistake, the complete list of upgrades is on this page. There is one for the Magnum.

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalo ... ducts.html

; )
roadbear
Tape Operator

Postby countryrockstar » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:40 pm

Roadbear Thanks for your help, at £40 each and the risk of further damage when taking all the knobs of to change the mic pot, its no wonder there are so many cheap second user desks available!
Several people have been very rude when I have asked about new replacement SSM2016 chips.
Mike
countryrockstar
Analog Enthusiast

Postby countryrockstar » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:33 am

roadbear wrote:You could start by contacting AML to see if they have a source for new SSM2016's or also try Dave Rochester (http://www.techaud.com), he may know of a source as well. Then if you are at a complete loss, then you can consider the Mic Pre upgrades that are available from AML for that console. (http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalo ... _info.html)

Hope that helps you out!

hi again roadbear,
thanks for the pointers, have looked at the langley series of mod kits am very impressed with the upgrades, also that of techaud. Can you or anyone help me at all with a time line of the T.A.C. and Amek mixers Iike Magnums and Einstein's saying which are best for sound re-enforcement and which are best suited to in-line studio use? ( like a Harrison) in fact if anyone can help me with this time line I would be most grateful? with links to brochures and leaflets also anything about 1975/76 Harrison desks also? also anyone selling anything like a magnum or einstein or harrison (know that's not likely but you can wish) please contact me, Thanks again roadbear, bye for now Mike Baker
countryrockstar
Analog Enthusiast

Next

Return to AMEK & TAC Recording Consoles