TAC Scorpion Ribbon Cables / Bargraph

Graham Langley founded Amek in 1973 with Nick Franks. Since then, AMEK and TAC recording consoles have been the choice of demanding audio professionals for over 25 years.

Moderator: Matt Syson

TAC Scorpion Ribbon Cables / Bargraph

Postby bluezplaya » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:28 pm

Greetings all, this is my first post on the forum. I bought my Scorpion in the summer of 2015 and I've been very happy with it so far. It's a 32/8 and it suits my needs for mixing and looks good next to my 3M M79 2" tape machine (potential clients love it!). I drove 4 hours to buy it from the original owner, a church in Birmingham, AL, for a mere $600. I have added 6 of the AML mic pre's and about 16 of the AML line mods, BOTH of which made a huge difference in the tracking and mixing.

Anyways, I'm looking for some spare ribbon cables for the modules, as a few of mine have broken and separated from the connectors I guess due to age. I reached out to GRS and AML, and neither of them supply the ribbon cables any more but Geoff at GRS said many Scorpion owners use a ribbon cable and connectors from Mouser and Digikey. Does anyone have any spare ribbon cables for sale or have a lead on a part number from those online suppliers?

Also, my bargraph meters have gone to poop. The only one that works is my PFL. I considered sending my PSU in to GRS for an upgrade and hoped that may help with the meters. I hear it certainly helps with the overall performance of the console. Does anyone have any spare bargraphs or know of a replacement?

Thanks,
Adam
bluezplaya
Analog Owner

Re: TAC Scorpion Ribbon Cables / Bargraph

Postby Jim Williams » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:39 pm

www.digikey.com
will make new ribbon cables. Pay a little more for the silver plated copper version.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Jim Williams
Yacht Rocker

Re: TAC Scorpion Ribbon Cables / Bargraph

Postby jensenmann » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:53 pm

AML used to make a bargraph sparepart.
Jim is right about the ribbon wire assembly. Get new ones. Used ones are the same age as yours and will have the same problems in the near future than the old ones.
Jens
jensenmann
Yacht Rocker

Return to AMEK & TAC Recording Consoles