VU meters on Tac Scropion I

Graham Langley founded Amek in 1973 with Nick Franks. Since then, AMEK and TAC recording consoles have been the choice of demanding audio professionals for over 25 years.

Moderator: Matt Syson

VU meters on Tac Scropion I

Postby Rotoman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:08 pm

HI everyone

I have a Tac Scropion, It has two openings for VU meters on the bar graph meter bridge.
Does anyone know how these were wired, it looks this was an option when ordering these boards?

Thanks, Tony
Rotoman
Analog Owner

Re: VU meters on Tac Scropion I

Postby jensenmann » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:14 am

IIRC they were wired directly to the XLR master outputs which is not a good idea because this introduces distortion from the meters into the outputs. But it´s too long ago that I opened a Scorpion with originally fitted meters to remember any details....
I did add meters to a Scorpion a few years ago by using a JLM audio meter buffer between meters and outputs. See here: https://www.jlmaudio.com/shop/vu-buffer-kit.html
You can easily get the necessary supply voltage for the buffers from the LED-meter PCB, just a few inches away from the VUs.
Jens
jensenmann
Yacht Rocker

Postby Rotoman » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:10 pm

Thanks Jens
Rotoman
Analog Owner

Postby Jim Williams » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:28 am

The S4000 module has the proper buffer circuits inside, IC 1 and 2. Connect the VU meter to molex connection points 2A and 4A. Screens go to 1A and 3A. There is also a switch for VU or peak response.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Jim Williams
Yacht Rocker

Return to AMEK & TAC Recording Consoles