Amek recall 56

Graham Langley founded Amek in 1973 with Nick Franks. Since then, AMEK and TAC recording consoles have been the choice of demanding audio professionals for over 25 years.

Moderator: Matt Syson

Amek recall 56

Postby jfkstudio » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:07 pm

Hello Everyone.
I have been into Amek consoles for some time and have owned, The Big 44ch, Rembrandt 40ch and Hendrix 40ch. Im now looking into bying a Recall 56 with the RL channels. It has been sitting at a theater since it was new and is in good condition.
Now my question. What would it take to be able to run the supertrue automation on it. It dosen´t use the 979 card in the computer like the rembrandt did. From what I remeber the Big did not use the 979 card either but I might be remebering it wrong.
Is it even possible to get it to work? :)

All the best
Fredrik
jfkstudio
Analog Enthusiast

Re: Amek recall 56

Postby Matt Syson » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi
You are correct that you don't need a '979' card for the PC and that all comms are the same as a BIG.
The EPROM used in the big and Recall has different code in them so that would need changing, then a 'software hack' to persuade Supertrue to address the Recall channels. It is so long that I looked at any of this I simply can't remember specifics.
New EPROM may be available from Audiomaintenanace but the software hacking (specifically swapping the control addresses for the various pots and switches) could take some time as the meaning of all the columns in the DOS setup files was not generally released to the public.
I believe you can run Showtime with SMPTE but can't swear to that.
Matt S
Matt Syson
Engineer

Postby jfkstudio » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:29 am

Thanks very much for you input Matt. Sound like a projekt for the future. But it would be fun to get the console to run the superture automation. :)
jfkstudio
Analog Enthusiast

Postby jfkstudio » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:36 am

I have another question that maby someone know the answer to.
I am building my self a computer cabel but im unsure about how to solder det d-sub 25.
Is it correct that pin 18-25 (AUD-DGND) should all be connected to pin 1 in the d-sub 15?
:)
Attachments
comp-cable-amek-big.jpg
jfkstudio
Analog Enthusiast

Return to AMEK & TAC Recording Consoles