DDA S Series cap size discrepency

Everything else! Allen & Heath, Altec, Altec Lansing, API, Auditronics, Audix, Binson, CAD, Custom, D&R, DataMix, DDA, Decca, Dynamix, Electrodyne, EMI, Euphonix, Fairchild, Focusrite, GML, Harrison, Helios, Hill, Langevin, MCI, Midas, Neotek, Neumann, Otari, Quad 8, Ramsa, RCA, Sony, Soundtracs, Soundworkshop, Studiomaster, Tascam, TEAC, Vintec, Westec, Wheatstone/Audio Arts, Yamaha, you name it, we'll try to help you out!

Moderator: gabby garcia

DDA S Series cap size discrepency

Postby mexicola » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:03 pm

Hello all! I'm currently recapping a DDA S Series for a fellow engineer with Panasonic FM's. I came across a discrepency between the schematic and an actual module. Not surprising, as I've seen this sort of thing before. However, this one has me curious.
According to the schematic, the local PSU caps on the master buss pcb are 22uF/25V. However the actual cap in reality was a 2.2uF/63V. Those Samwha caps are actually the same physical size, so I'm wondering if this was a mistake. Maybe a DDA employee grabbed the 2.2 instead of the 22 by accident since they are the same size.
2.2uF just seems really small to me for a local PSU cap, especially since they are 22uF on all the other modules and on the schematic. Would I be best served to up the 2.2 to a 22, or leave it 2.2? I'm just concerned that maybe it was a "late model" fix of some problem that never got changed on the schematic.
If anyone out there has any info on this, I'd love some insight! Thanks!
mexicola
Analog Enthusiast

Re: DDA S Series cap size discrepency

Postby Jim Williams » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:38 am

If they are 6.3 mm diameter caps, go with 47 uf/25v FM's. Bypass them on the rear of the pcb with .1 uf mono ceramics.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Jim Williams
Yacht Rocker

Re: DDA S Series cap size discrepency

Postby mexicola » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:48 am

Thanks Jim!
mexicola
Analog Enthusiast

Return to Everything Else