Shipping Tube Gear

Everything else! Allen & Heath, Altec, Altec Lansing, API, Auditronics, Audix, Binson, CAD, Custom, D&R, DataMix, DDA, Decca, Dynamix, Electrodyne, EMI, Euphonix, Fairchild, Focusrite, GML, Harrison, Helios, Hill, Langevin, MCI, Midas, Neotek, Neumann, Otari, Quad 8, Ramsa, RCA, Sony, Soundtracs, Soundworkshop, Studiomaster, Tascam, TEAC, Vintec, Westec, Wheatstone/Audio Arts, Yamaha, you name it, we'll try to help you out!

Moderator: gabby garcia

Shipping Tube Gear

Postby ruffrecords » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:08 pm

I recently sent a prototype tube mic pre from here in the UK to a client in the USA via DHL. The mic pre is built in a sealed die cast box and has a separate similarly constructed linear power supply. I surrounded each with about 2 inches of foam, then some polystyrene so they fitted snugly into a cardboard box.

Despite that, on arrival a tube had been shook out of its socket - OK maybe tubes should go separately - but worse, a sub-chassis that fitted into slots inside the die cast box had worked loose and pulled off some connections to its tube sockets.

Now given how I packed it, there was no way I expected a sub-chassis to work loose.; DHL must have really thrown it about to achieve that.

So my question is, what are others people's experiences of shipping tube based gear, especially internationally, and what lessons are there to be learned.

Cheers

Ian
ruffrecords
Analog Enthusiast

Return to Everything Else