Tangent power supply

Everything else! Allen & Heath, Altec, Altec Lansing, API, Auditronics, Audix, Binson, CAD, Custom, D&R, DataMix, DDA, Decca, Dynamix, Electrodyne, EMI, Euphonix, Fairchild, Focusrite, GML, Harrison, Helios, Hill, Langevin, MCI, Midas, Neotek, Neumann, Otari, Quad 8, Ramsa, RCA, Sony, Soundtracs, Soundworkshop, Studiomaster, Tascam, TEAC, Vintec, Westec, Wheatstone/Audio Arts, Yamaha, you name it, we'll try to help you out!

Moderator: gabby garcia

Tangent power supply

Postby Tangent » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:13 pm

Hello All,
I just found this forum and I'm looking forward to all the diferent posts on these wonderful old consoles.
I own an old Tangent 3216A console which I am currently in the process of upgrading.
All though this is not the greatest console in the world ,it does work for my purpose.
I need to either rebuild the power supply or find a power supply for this board.The present power supply has been modified by the previous owner and there are parts missing in this unit.The +/- 15 volt supplys for the i/o's and for the meters have been changed.The I/O supply is being used for the meters also and the supply for the meters has been taken out. I have some schematics for this section but not all .Also I do not have any parts list for the power supply.
Rather than rebuild I would rather find another/better power supply for this board.If anybody has any ideas on this I would appreciate your input.Thanks for any help.
George
Tangent
Analog Owner

Re: Tangent power supply

Postby brianroth » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:32 am

Tangent wrote:Hello All,
I just found this forum and I'm looking forward to all the diferent posts on these wonderful old consoles.
I own an old Tangent 3216A console which I am currently in the process of upgrading.
All though this is not the greatest console in the world ,it does work for my purpose.
I need to either rebuild the power supply or find a power supply for this board.The present power supply has been modified by the previous owner and there are parts missing in this unit.The +/- 15 volt supplys for the i/o's and for the meters have been changed.The I/O supply is being used for the meters also and the supply for the meters has been taken out. I have some schematics for this section but not all .Also I do not have any parts list for the power supply.
Rather than rebuild I would rather find another/better power supply for this board.If anybody has any ideas on this I would appreciate your input.Thanks for any help.
George

VERY belated reply here....

I thought I had a (partial?) 3216a manual in a box in my rented mini-storage unit, and sure enough!!! I brought the pages back here to Camp Chaos <g>, and mmmmm..the smell of dusty paper is now in My Shoppe.

Unfortunately, the entire parts list for the power supply isn't in the moldy paperwork, BUT there is enough info to work with. The fuse sizes (in-line with the various DC rails) tell the tale:

+15 Rail 4 Amps
-15 Rail 4 Amps
"another" +15 rail (meters) 1 Amp
+48 (never a biggie in these situations) 0.5 Amps

Power-One/International Power/Condor/et al sell "open frame linear modules" rated for +/- 15V at 5 amps. In addition, you will need another 15V/1 Amp module and a 48V/0.5A module. Mouaer, Digikey, and many others sell those linear modules. You will have to mount them into a metal box, since all of the "guts" are exposed.

Pricing (less mounting the modules) from Mouser:

+/- 15V at 5 Amps module = $136.50
15V at 1.5 Amps module = $34.50
48V at 0.5 amp module = $36.50

If you have really deep pockets, also look at the Acopian "gold box" linear supplies as well.

Bri
http://www.BrianRoth.com
Professional audio system design/service/custom equipment
brianroth
Yacht Rocker

Postby Tangent » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:01 pm

Brian,
Thanks for your reply. It looks like I have several choices.Most likely I'll just have someone build it at this point as I have several other things to do to this console.
George
Tangent
Analog Owner

Postby brianroth » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:11 am

George..I just sent you a PM regarding this.

Bri
http://www.BrianRoth.com
Professional audio system design/service/custom equipment
brianroth
Yacht Rocker

Return to Everything Else