Electrodyne Consoles

Everything else! Allen & Heath, Altec, Altec Lansing, API, Auditronics, Audix, Binson, CAD, Custom, D&R, DataMix, DDA, Decca, Dynamix, Electrodyne, EMI, Euphonix, Fairchild, Focusrite, GML, Harrison, Helios, Hill, Langevin, MCI, Midas, Neotek, Neumann, Otari, Quad 8, Ramsa, RCA, Sony, Soundtracs, Soundworkshop, Studiomaster, Tascam, TEAC, Vintec, Westec, Wheatstone/Audio Arts, Yamaha, you name it, we'll try to help you out!

Moderator: gabby garcia

Electrodyne Consoles

Postby echoreturn » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:04 pm

Just wanted to see what folks thought of these old boards? Anyone have experience with them for tracking and mixing? Anyone done any side by side comparisons to other boards?
I just bought one and am getting it up and running now. It will be a few months though before i can expect to be using it.
Take care everyone.
-echoreturn
echoreturn
Analog Enthusiast

Postby getreel » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:50 am

I think I've read alot where they're really cool! Congratulations! Let us know what happens with it and what it sounds like when you get it up and running.
GBT~
getreel
Analog Owner

Postby mattafact » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:55 pm

Have any pics of it?
Cad Maxcon II - 128 Input
Pro Tools Mix3
http://www.myspace.com/breakthrurecording
mattafact
Analog Owner

Electrodyne picture

Postby echoreturn » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:31 am

here's a picture. it's all taken apart now and being recapped. the modules are 709L's. it's a stereo board. pretty much all custom made and by that i mean not custom made be electrodyne. the caps in the pres were running at 50% when we checked them. this thing probably has not be serviced since it was constructed and installed in 1969. the new power supplies should be here any day too. all the summing switches seem to be functional. supposedly electrodyne used the same switches (the colorful ones) that nasa used on their shuttles. i guess i don't see why that couldn't be true. the hardest thing so far is figureing out the signal flow. we have a simple block diagram, but like i said, it's "simple".
so, if anyone has any experience with the electrodyne modules or early quad eight modules and you have some pointers or inside info as far as setting them up and getting the most out of them, please fill me in.
-d
echoreturn
Analog Enthusiast

picture

Postby echoreturn » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:40 am

sorry, i can't figure out how to get the picture uploaded and i don't have any more time today to mess with it. maybe later.
d
echoreturn
Analog Enthusiast

Image Upload Help

Postby gabby garcia » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:17 am

to link to an image on your computer:

on "Post a new topic" or "Post a reply" page, view below "Message body" for "Add an Attachment" - click "Browse" and select your image. Click the "Add Attachment" button. View below "Posted Attachments" and select "Preview". This will then display your uploaded image at the bottom of the page. You can then add comments below the image by using "File Comment". Once you are ready to upload it, click "Submit".

or

to link to an image online:

on "Post a new topic" or "Post a reply" page click the "Img*" button located upper right, in top row of buttons. paste in the url after "img" and then click on the "Img*" button again. This will insert the image within the message body.

gg
gabby garcia
Smooth Yacht Rocker

picture

Postby echoreturn » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:21 pm

electrodyne pic. here it is. i had to lower the pixel count.
echoreturn
Analog Enthusiast

Postby blackieC » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:17 pm

Sweet!

I've never had my hands on one but I have always dug the way the electrodyne and quad eight stuff looked.

Wasn't it quad eight that would sell the "custom color" channel strips?
blackieC
Smooth Yacht Rocker

Postby echoreturn » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:08 pm

i think it was both quad eight and electrodyne that let you choose colors. my electrodyne modules are the "bittersweet" color option. kinda orange-ish. i'm way into it. iv'e seen edynes in blue, black and white also. but, i guess it's really the sound that i always remember after using these boards, not the color! can't wait to get this thing up and running...

so, nobody with experience/tips on these boards?
echoreturn
Analog Enthusiast

Postby brianroth » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:23 am

One of my clients bought twelve Electrodyne 712L modules (the ones with the lever switches for a sort of "graphic EQ"). Here's a snapshot of the collection stacked on my bench:

click here

(I've tracked down replacement knobs for the missing/damaged ones.)

My client had cobbled a few together and used them on some projects, and he really liked the sound, so the current plan is to either rack these up as a 12 in/12 out system, or to build a 12 x 2 sidecar with them.

One limitation is the single-ended 24V supply rail, which limits the maximum output signal swing. That means the "absolute best" output signal at clipping would be approx +18.5 dBu, and likely a couple of dBu less in the real world. That limitation can be dealt with in a sidecar by running all of the internal levels at, say, -2 or -4 dBu but poses a problem as standalone modules, unless we add an output buffer for each module.

FWIW, I seem to never throw any paper away, and found a late-1960's (added to my collection when I was in high school!) Electrodyne brochure in my files. I scanned a few pages:

http://www.brianroth.com/library/electrodyne1.pdf

http://www.brianroth.com/library/electrodyne2.pdf

http://www.brianroth.com/library/electrodyne3.pdf

As has been reported in TapeOp magazine, the front panel overlays are indeed Formica! I found a dead-on match from some Formica countertop swatches for the plastic used on the black-faced modules pictured above.

click here

Bri
brianroth
Yacht Rocker

Next

Return to Everything Else