Ramsa WR-T820B mods

Everything else! Allen & Heath, Altec, Altec Lansing, API, Auditronics, Audix, Binson, CAD, Custom, D&R, DataMix, DDA, Decca, Dynamix, Electrodyne, EMI, Euphonix, Fairchild, Focusrite, GML, Harrison, Helios, Hill, Langevin, MCI, Midas, Neotek, Neumann, Otari, Quad 8, Ramsa, RCA, Sony, Soundtracs, Soundworkshop, Studiomaster, Tascam, TEAC, Vintec, Westec, Wheatstone/Audio Arts, Yamaha, you name it, we'll try to help you out!

Moderator: gabby garcia

Re: Ramsa WR-T820B mods

Postby Ramsa Dude » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:08 am

These are the new boards that hold the chips for balancing the Aux inputs and group bus outputs...

These are the db25 connectors that I added to connect the aux inputs and 8 group bus outputs...

The console back with all of the balanced aux inputs and group bus outputs connected

Ramsa Dude
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Ramsa Dude » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:11 am

The new terminal strip that I installed for connecting all of the stock power supply voltages and the +/- voltages from the new supply

Ramsa Dude
Analog Enthusiast

Postby lumin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:30 am

did you end up exchanging the RCA outs for 1/4"? I am looking to do that with my ramsa... you look like you have hot rodded this thing tremendously.
very very impressive man. ive been able to do a little work on my console but nothing to that effect. i always wonder if it is worth the trouble and expense as opposed to just getting a new console in.
lumin
Analog Owner

Re:

Postby Jim Williams » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:07 am

Ramsa Dude wrote:Thanks Jim. I socketed all of those chips, so I'll look into that...

You wouldn't happen to have the spec sheets for the µPC4072 and µPC4570 chips that are used throughout this board would you. I have some data sheets, but they have very few specs listed. I can't find any absolute maximum specs or typical current or voltage specs, which is what I'm looking for.

I had a UPC data book somewhere. The 4072 is a TL072 equivalent. The upc4570 is identical to the Motorola MC33078 and National LM833. 5 v/us slew rate, it's basically a 5532 with reduced output current. Better is LME49720, AD8599, LT1358, etc.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Jim Williams
Yacht Rocker

Postby Ramsa Dude » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:10 am

Thanks for the compliment. For some reason, the pictures were cropped on the right side after they were uploaded, so you can barely make out the Tascam pinned db25 connectors that replaced the RCA connectors. The funny thing is, if you hit the "reply" button, and scroll down through the posts in this thread, you can see the full, uncropped pictures. Weird...

This is actually my hobby, so I experiment a lot with this console, and actually mix on a MUCH larger console, although I have mixed a few records that have charted very well with the Ramsa.

I'm really pleased with the sound improvement, but I'd consider a new console if you feel you're lacking inputs, or you use a lot of board EQ. Although I've been able to improve the sound of the EQ, it still doesn't hold a candle to the outboard EQs that I have.
Ramsa Dude
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Ramsa Dude » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:12 am

Thanks for the info Jim! This is probably the next step for me...
Ramsa Dude
Analog Enthusiast

Postby lumin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:09 pm

with your control room outputs, did you end up changing the rca to a 1/4"? i cant tell if those blue cables are 1/4 or rcas.

do you find monitoring through the board to suffer using those outputs?
i can imagine that those mods cleaned up things quite a bit. it looks like im going to start using those outs since my setup is going to change. trying to incorporate a radar24 with the board.
lumin
Analog Owner

Postby Ramsa Dude » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:37 pm

the control room outputs are still RCA. My amp is really close to the console, so the CR Out cables are only three feet. The stock outputs sound fine, not sure if I even want to bother with it.

The mods as a whole did some really great things to an already good sounding board. I'd say that the new power supply made the biggest difference, noise-wise and sound-wise. The thing is stupid quiet now.
Ramsa Dude
Analog Enthusiast

Postby phishman13 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:42 pm

Hey there,

I'm new to the forum and stumbled upon it while exhausting the web for info on this console. I bought mine about 4 months ago in horrible shape. It has 3 eq pot shafts bent, 3 group pan pots broken off, and the wrist rest chewed up by a dog. Turned it on, and everything worked! Quite well too! Its pretty quiet still, and doesn't sound too bad. So I have a few questions about refurbishing this thing back to new.

I posted one of the questions about recapping over in the Prodigy Pro forum:

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/index.php?topic=35195.0

There's the link so I don't repeat myself.

I then came back and saw that you used Nichicon bipolar caps for the signal coupling caps. Did you change them all to a single value, or did you replace them with the stock value? I'm trying to recap this thing and as the post says, minimize the number of values so that I can buy in bulk. Do you have any advice on my queries here and in the other forum?

Also, have you had any time or desire to play around with swapping out opamps? Either in the channels or summing amps or wherever. My main problem with the tonal quality of the console, I described in the first post on the other forum. I'm not sure if it might be a recap or value tweaking issue, or an opamp issue, or something else? Do you know what might clear that up a bit?

I'd also like some more info on your external PSU. I know enough about building low current PSUs to power a pair of mic pres or the such, but not a high current supply to power a console. I'd like to eventually build a variable voltage supply to be able to swap out opamps at a later date and get the full performance out of them with a higher supply voltage. They will most likely consume more current too, so the upgrade will be a must.

I'd also like some more info on your grounding improvements. Like, which wires were causing trouble? Did you alter any other grounding schemes? Like ground each channel individually instead of chain each channel in a bank of 4 together and then ground each bank?

And lastly, spare parts! Do you have any, or know where I can go to get some? I need to replace 3 of the eq pots, and 3 of the group pan pots, and the wrist rest. The wrist rest, I guess I can always do a custom upholstered deal, but I'm just looking for EASY. Do you know if any other model Ramsa consoles used similar parts that I might be able to pull from? I just have never seen anyone selling off spare channels for this console.

I'd appreciate any help you can give me here!
phishman13
Analog Owner

Previous

Return to Everything Else