Help needed with 4000...

Everything else! Allen & Heath, Altec, Altec Lansing, API, Auditronics, Audix, Binson, CAD, Custom, D&R, DataMix, DDA, Decca, Dynamix, Electrodyne, EMI, Euphonix, Fairchild, Focusrite, GML, Harrison, Helios, Hill, Langevin, MCI, Midas, Neotek, Neumann, Otari, Quad 8, Ramsa, RCA, Sony, Soundtracs, Soundworkshop, Studiomaster, Tascam, TEAC, Vintec, Westec, Wheatstone/Audio Arts, Yamaha, you name it, we'll try to help you out!

Moderator: gabby garcia

Postby CE-Music » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:14 am

Hi...
I've read about these problems too...I will use stereo phone jacks on the output side of the 4000...only ground and ring (+4dBu) connected and mono phone jacks for the input side of the converter...but thanks for sharing your experience I will try different configurations with one cable first....and the use the one that works best...but I think the one mentioned above should work perfectly....
regards Daniel
Long Live Rock'n'Roll
CE-Music
Tape Operator

Postby CE-Music » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:15 am

Hi there...
The voltage regulator (7824) was not working properly...so was a resistor...thats why phantom power was at 70V...I didn't get to work on the console again...but as soon as I do I'll let you know....

EDIT:
The guy that did some work on the PS was wrong...now neither phantom power nor +18V is working anymore...I did some tests today....trimmer dead...lm 723 dead...2n 3055 dead...and another resistor dead....I am wondering why this unit was working in the first place...I got the parts today and will replace them tomorrow...

PS: Makes even more sense now to replace almost every part....because
"I don't want it to be even slightly unreliable" :wink:
...maybe that was causing the hum too...
...I'll keep you updated...
Best regards
Daniel
Long Live Rock'n'Roll
CE-Music
Tape Operator

Postby vsr600 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:47 am

yea I recommend going through the power supply as completely as you can and make sure every thing works. On mine, the main problem was those two big rectifiers were bad which kept blowing the two BD237's (the ones with the big heat sinks) and the large smoothing caps. Once I replaced all that and all the other electrolytic caps in it, it worked fine.
vsr600
Analog Enthusiast

Postby CE-Music » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:14 am

Hi...
I finished the power supply yesterday...it's fully working now....
I also cleaned another 4 channels and put them back in...
When I switched it on I heard a little crackle in channel 3 for 5 seconds (maybe due to an elco?) and then...dead silence...no hum, no hiss...
I will put back all the other channels and see if they are in same condition...and then I'll start recapping channel by channel...
Thanks so much for your help....I am already loving this console...and I didn't even record anything yet...
I'll post some more photos when it's put together again...
Best regards
Daniel
Long Live Rock'n'Roll
CE-Music
Tape Operator

Postby vsr600 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:23 am

Awesome! Yea mine has a warm up period of about a minute where certain channels crackle and their meters don't work right immediately after you turn it on. Hey if you could, post some pictures of how the power supply xlr jack is connected to the ribbon cables. Right now I have mine still rigged with some wire and duct tape and I want to install a jack on a blank plate to make the connection more rugged.
vsr600
Analog Enthusiast

Postby CE-Music » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:07 pm

The xlr connector is bolt at the back plate of the master channel (got all orig. backplates)....then a plug is soldered to it which connects to an available connector of the ribbon cable....I post a picture anyway....
Best regards
Daniel
Long Live Rock'n'Roll
CE-Music
Tape Operator

Postby vsr600 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:50 pm

cool yea a picture says a thousand words man. I just need to see how it connected. I might be getting someone to make me all the back panels I need soon. Also are the back panels flush against the back or do they have some sort of piece of metal that raises them up a bit. I'm kinda worried about them pushing against the ribbon cables if they are made flat....
vsr600
Analog Enthusiast

Postby CE-Music » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:51 pm

Hi...
I managed to clean all the channels and put them back in...
Channel 1 is very noisy with condenser mikes...I guess it's the cap...
since it is only happening with phantom power applied...is that called a decoupling cap?
In Channel 12 monitoring and the led bar is not working...Master buss routing does though...it might be due to a damaged circuit path
The board is really quite I didn't make any recording so far...just listening to the signal generator looking at the oszi
Here are a few pictures....
@vsr600 The back plate pictures are coming on monday....

The faders have to be cleaned again...with a tooth brush... :D

Thanks especially to Matt for guiding me so far and maybe this thread is helping others too...

Best regards
Daniel
Long Live Rock'n'Roll
CE-Music
Tape Operator

Postby CE-Music » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:16 am

Here they are vsr600

I hope that helps

Best regards

Daniel
Long Live Rock'n'Roll
CE-Music
Tape Operator

Postby vsr600 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:31 pm

it does! Thanks so much man!
I really need to get some new ribbon cables, yours look a million times better shape than mine. I read somewhere that Digikey has a custom department that can make any ribbon cable I need I guess I'll try that... any one know of any other place to get them made?
vsr600
Analog Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else