Harrison MR2 Allison VCA Automation

Everything else! Allen & Heath, Altec, Altec Lansing, API, Auditronics, Audix, Binson, CAD, Custom, D&R, DataMix, DDA, Decca, Dynamix, Electrodyne, EMI, Euphonix, Fairchild, Focusrite, GML, Harrison, Helios, Hill, Langevin, MCI, Midas, Neotek, Neumann, Otari, Quad 8, Ramsa, RCA, Sony, Soundtracs, Soundworkshop, Studiomaster, Tascam, TEAC, Vintec, Westec, Wheatstone/Audio Arts, Yamaha, you name it, we'll try to help you out!

Moderator: gabby garcia

Harrison MR2 Allison VCA Automation

Postby SAnthony » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:07 am

Currently Building a console based on Harrison MR2 Channel Strips and Master Section. I currently have an Original Melkuist Automation Computer that I may attempt to refurbish as a last resort. Can anyone tell me about a newer Computer/Software that would be backward compatable with these VCAs? Also wondering if these Allison VCAs on an MR2 can coexist with the Valley People VCAs on an MR4 Stereo Channel Strip?

stouro@netzero.net

THanks...Take Care,
Shawn
SAnthony
Analog Enthusiast

Allison/Valley People

Postby porkyc » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:50 pm

Are the Allison ones blue? and the VP ones green? Yes?
The Valley People TA-101 was the replacement for the original Allison Research EGC-101. Allison Research became Valley People. It was always Paul Buff anyway. Yes they are interchangeable and can co-exist. The control voltage circuit is likely to be the same. Either way, they were the best sounding VCAs.
porkyc
Yacht Rocker

Postby jensenmann » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:14 pm

If you guys find or know a source for these VCAs please let me know. I could need a bunch of these for my desk.
Jens
jensenmann
Yacht Rocker

TA-101s

Postby porkyc » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:22 pm

jensenmann wrote:If you guys find or know a source for these VCAs please let me know. I could need a bunch of these for my desk.

Funnily enough, I've just been re-commissioning an MCI 500 that has TA-101s in it, and it's short of some!! I had to rob the echo returns. On another forum, somebody is considering re-doing these (TA-101s that is), I gather. Not many manufacturers used these as standard, because they were a dog to get going and be stable, but since Paul Buff was in Nashville and so were Harrison.......
No help I'm afraid.
porkyc
Yacht Rocker

Postby tritosine » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:26 am

hi I beleive these are sorta matched transistors, plenty of info can be found over prodigy-pro forums.

BTW Check out my topic where I sell original ledmeters , these might be nice companion for you. 8)
tritosine
Analog Owner

TA-101s

Postby porkyc » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:45 pm

Yes, they were idiotically high-frequency, high gain complimentary pairs, I believe, hence the instability.
Are those the Series10 meters? They are good, but they do need the 5 electrolytic caps changing. Be careful, the print is VERY delicate, I bought the Denon desoldering gun because I had to do about 80 of these meters recently, some of which went to a S12 console in Stockholm.
porkyc
Yacht Rocker

Postby tritosine » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:23 am

well, im willing to do it in fact. Might gear up with an ESR meter as well , once i find the time!
tritosine
Analog Owner

S10/S12 meters

Postby porkyc » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:16 am

Is the ESR meter to check the caps? Don't bother, just change them. Most of the problems go away, and it will leave you with the ones that genuinely don't work.
porkyc
Yacht Rocker

Postby Matt Syson » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:05 pm

Hi
FWIW Calrec used the blue, green and brown versions of these critters in some of their desks but not in huge numbers since the desks they were building at the time were mostly 'broadcast' and VCAs were not necessary.
I happen to have a couple of each...somewhere.
Matt S
Matt Syson
Engineer

Valley People TA stuff

Postby porkyc » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:31 pm

Only the green ones can be used as VCAs because they were NPN/PNP complimentary pairs. (Logarithmic multiplier circuit). The Blue were TA102 and were all NPN, the Brown were TA103 and were all PNP. Tended to be used in transformerless mic pre amps. You would use the 2019 now, surely.
I've found all the data sheets that I had, hence smartypants reply!
Best regards
porkyc
Yacht Rocker

Next

Return to Everything Else