Pan issue on D&R Orion

Everything else! Allen & Heath, Altec, Altec Lansing, API, Auditronics, Audix, Binson, CAD, Custom, D&R, DataMix, DDA, Decca, Dynamix, Electrodyne, EMI, Euphonix, Fairchild, Focusrite, GML, Harrison, Helios, Hill, Langevin, MCI, Midas, Neotek, Neumann, Otari, Quad 8, Ramsa, RCA, Sony, Soundtracs, Soundworkshop, Studiomaster, Tascam, TEAC, Vintec, Westec, Wheatstone/Audio Arts, Yamaha, you name it, we'll try to help you out!

Moderator: gabby garcia

Pan issue on D&R Orion

Postby Anthracite » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:00 pm

Hi-

I am wondering why a specific phenomenon is happening on my Orion. When I pan a channel 100% either right or left I hear bleed into the opposite channel. If I pan 90% L or R no bleed and a clear image. This happens on most of my channels. What could be the cause and how can I get around it, besides panning 90%. I also find the imaging lacking at best between center and full L or R. Better potentiometers? or a modification in the pan circuit design? Any suggestions would be worthwhile.

Thanks,

Bryan
Bryan Gibbs
Anthracite Recording
SF, California
Anthracite
Analog Owner

Postby Matt Syson » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:59 pm

Hi
An interesting problem!
It could be faulty pots (the 'end' resistance should be around 2 Ohms or less) or more bizarrely it may be crosstalk in the channel or bussing.
A careful check could be done to see ig the phase of the crosstalk actually reverses when the pot is at 100 percent rotation, indicating a 'system' problem rather than a pot problem.
If you could send a schematic of the pan pot circuit I may be able to assist with suggestions for tests.
Best regards
Matt S (see AMEK section of forum).
Matt Syson
Engineer

Return to Everything Else