Allen and Heath GS3 vs Trident VFM

Everything else! Allen & Heath, Altec, Altec Lansing, API, Auditronics, Audix, Binson, CAD, Custom, D&R, DataMix, DDA, Decca, Dynamix, Electrodyne, EMI, Euphonix, Fairchild, Focusrite, GML, Harrison, Helios, Hill, Langevin, MCI, Midas, Neotek, Neumann, Otari, Quad 8, Ramsa, RCA, Sony, Soundtracs, Soundworkshop, Studiomaster, Tascam, TEAC, Vintec, Westec, Wheatstone/Audio Arts, Yamaha, you name it, we'll try to help you out!

Moderator: gabby garcia

Allen and Heath GS3 vs Trident VFM

Postby red cross » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:51 am

Could anybody chime in on which direction I should go in? Both boards appear to be in relatively good condition. The VFM is probably cheaper, but only two auxes sort of work against it. If it sounds better than the GS3 I could work around it though. Any opinions much appreciated.

Best,
Justin
red cross
Analog Owner

Re: Allen and Heath GS3 vs Trident VFM

Postby LNerell » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:45 pm

I use to own a VFM, a 16X8. It is rather simple so its pretty clean sounding. It was a split line console so buss outs were used as tape returns for monitoring. It had a rather large footprint for such a small board. Two aux per channel, I think it also had a pre-fader foldback send. Fixed 4 band eq, not sweepable but was musical. It was completely modular with every channel being removable, which came in handy when the power supply blew up! :shock: I just took the power supply module out of the board and sent it out for repair. I hated the faders which were cheap noble brand, it was Tridents budget board from the 1980s. The best thing about the board is I could tell everyone I had a Trident board in my studio. :lol: Other then that it was very basic, I quickly out grew it and moved on to something else.

I've never used a GS3 but I remember them being pretty good. Early 90s design, it has a lot more to offer then the VFM in features.
LNerell
Analog Owner

Return to Everything Else