Smallest width console strips

Yeah, you heard that. An area for the free and open exchange of ideas. Or else. Let the banning begin.

Moderators: gabby garcia, crunch

Smallest width console strips

Postby bruno2000 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:16 am

Hello everyone,
What in-line console has the narrowest input strips. My guess would be Calrec. Please post your guess. Thanks!
Bruno2000
bruno2000
Analog Owner

Postby GJC Designs » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:52 am

You are probably right, Bruno.

The width of Q, Q2, S, S2, and T modules is 30mm. From an operational viewpoint it is impractical to go narrower. Prior to these consoles, the M had a width of 35mm, which is still quite narrow.

What you need to bear in mind is that none of these consoles are true in-line as you would view a Neve V or 88, or an SSL 4000, 9000 etc. The Calrecs are primarily broadcast consoles with the option of a multitrack system which adds a monitor path and fader to the channel strip as well as the multitrack routing matrix. In the Q2 and S2 consoles, the matrix is digitally controlled and operationally similar to the T-Series matrix.

To the best of my knowledge, the only true in-line analogue music console that Calrec built was the UA8000, which in the European region featured at PUK, Polar and Abbey Road Studios.

Most in-line music consoles that I have seen/worked on have module widths of 38mm (1.5 inches) to 45mm.
Gareth
GJC Designs
Yacht Rocker

Re: Smallest width console strips

Postby porkyc » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:17 am

With reference to discussions about application specific consoles/manufacturers.
BBC almost "demanded" 23mm (might have been 29, can't remember) as the fader pitch. Most manufacturers were not this. Harrison introduced the TVD-SL at said demanded pitch, but quite honestly, BBC want Calrec, quite simple.
The AMS-Neve DFC film console has a huge fader pitch, but has subsequently fitted a wide aspect ratio TFT a treat matching its 8-wide block. Very lucky
PC
porkyc
Yacht Rocker

Return to Jibber Jabberin'