JH-618 quality?

In the late 70's, over half of the records in Billboard's Top 200 were recorded and/or mixed using MCI equipment.

Moderator: brianroth

Re: JH-618 quality?

Postby dlmorley » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:31 am

D&R gone
MCI booked in for a full recap
dlmorley
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Jim Williams » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:48 pm

636 modules are not recaped here, but "de-caped". Use precision National or AD chips and all of them can go, except in the front/back end of that mic pre card. This includes the entire EQ card, the sum amps, fader amps, etc. I only leave one cap around the fet switches to avoid "bias thumps".

Then you hear low end that thunders. Top end sounds like after your ears pop landing in a jet. Hiss is gone, fidelity returns, musicians (real ones at least) love it.

BTW, if your cards have the transformerless 600 mic preamps, those used National LM394 input transistors, they match so no 1000 uf blocking cap is needed on the gain set pot.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Jim Williams
Yacht Rocker

Postby dlmorley » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:44 pm

Jim Williams wrote:636 modules are not recaped here, but "de-caped". Use precision National or AD chips and all of them can go, except in the front/back end of that mic pre card. This includes the entire EQ card, the sum amps, fader amps, etc. I only leave one cap around the fet switches to avoid "bias thumps".

Then you hear low end that thunders. Top end sounds like after your ears pop landing in a jet. Hiss is gone, fidelity returns, musicians (real ones at least) love it.

BTW, if your cards have the transformerless 600 mic preamps, those used National LM394 input transistors, they match so no 1000 uf blocking cap is needed on the gain set pot.

Thanks Jim. Sounds very interesting. I'll mention this to my tech and I presume he will grasp the concept! I'm pretty untechnical so I have to rely on others to do things alas.
I presume mine has trafoless preamps. The modules are later ones.
Thanks again...
David
dlmorley
Analog Enthusiast

Previous

Return to MCI Recording Consoles