Value of Waters Mfg faders?

In the late 70's, over half of the records in Billboard's Top 200 were recorded and/or mixed using MCI equipment.

Moderator: brianroth

Value of Waters Mfg faders?

Postby rlh100 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:10 am

I have a bunch of Waters Manufacturing faders. I got them a long time ago surplus in the Silicon Valley with the though of building a console. Having researched them, it appears they were manufactured for MCI for use in their consoles. What are they worth?

I believe they are new old stock. Their action is a bit rough but I suspect that because they need to be lubricated after sitting in a box for 25 years. I will let an expert do that.

They are labeled with the part number:
MM-4 1-110 +_1%L 10K 28-1 H
They have extruded aluminum sides and a fiberglass board for the conductive part of the fader. I have about 24 of them.

Thanks in advance
RLH
rlh100
Analog Owner

Re: Value of Waters Mfg faders?

Postby Bill Wilson » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:15 am

Hi RLH: I ran console checkout at the factory early 72-mid 73. At the time the 416's were shipping w API faders, they later went to Penny & Giles & finally built their own. To my knowledge they never used any waters product. The only consoles I ever saw waters in were the Quantum consoles.

To be frank waters faders were about the bottom of the barrel, unless you went with a linear carbon element control. I was in Nashville as svc mgr for the MCI dealer for 1 1/2 yrs. before going out on my own. I used duncan faders to replace the api's on a couple of consoles but that was about it.
Bill Wilson
Analog Enthusiast

Return to MCI Recording Consoles