Help with preserving pan in a submix

In the late 70's, over half of the records in Billboard's Top 200 were recorded and/or mixed using MCI equipment.

Moderator: brianroth

Help with preserving pan in a submix

Postby ngtomlinson » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:09 pm

Howdy,

Working with a 428A. I want to be able to run drums through 8 channels, bounce all of those channels to two and send those two to two tape tracks. I need to be able to pan in the original 8 channels, and then have that pan preserved, along with the unpanned channels in the two channel submix. Not sure what the best way to do this is. Currently I am using the tie lines to go to the tape machine as I need to send 8 channels, but I am not sure if that is the best way to do it. Also, I am using the track assign buttons on channels 11-18 for the drum mics and sending to 7 and 8 for my two track submix. Any help would be much appreciated.

-Nathan
ngtomlinson
Analog Enthusiast

Re: Help with preserving pan in a submix

Postby michaels » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:04 am

I too have been struggling with this and have wanted to ask this question for quite some time. It seems if you sub your drums you're stuck with center, hard left or hard right unless you don't hard pan your submix channels ( I sub them to 15 and 16). I pan 'em hard but probably shouldn't... I had a MCI guru over here a couple of weeks ago and he showed me another way to sub the drums as opposed to how I was doing it but the pan was not preserved...
Sarcasm is just another free service I offer.
michaels
Yacht Rocker

Re: Help with preserving pan in a submix

Postby eeagle » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:41 pm

I recently got myself a 428b that I have been SLOWLY working on. It appears to have a mod in which the even bus assign switches are wired together and same for the odds. These are then connected to a pan pot located above the cue send (there are also some added switches that I'd guess turn this feature on and off??). I have yet to try it out but it seems like a cool idea.

EE
eeagle
Analog Owner

Return to MCI Recording Consoles