info and advice on calrec m3 mini mixer needed

With a comprehensive range of mixing consoles, Calrec has been a manufacturer of high quality audio products since 1964.

Moderators: GJC Designs, Richard Lumb

info and advice on calrec m3 mini mixer needed

Postby monkeymarc » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:04 pm

Hi
I am seriously looking into buying a calrec m3 mini mixer with 20 channels. It has the pq 3140 eq and a buss compressor.
I am also looking at a small studer 901.
Can you tell me if the calrec is in the same league as the studer.
The calrec has direct outputs on each channel and is very flexible with routing and the studer only has stereo out on the master.

Thanks
Marc
monkeymarc
Analog Enthusiast

Re: info and advice on calrec m3 mini mixer needed

Postby Richard Lumb » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:51 pm

Hi Marc,
I couldn't comment on the Studer 901 as I don't have experience of it. From pictures I could find of the Studer it looks older and certainly less compact. The M3 started being made around 1999 and is currently still manufactured. It packs alot of features for a small mixer and is designed to last the rough life of broadcast.
Calrec consoles are certainly in the same league of Studers if not more so. In the US OB market Calrec consoles dominate. Testament to their reliability and robustness.
http://www.calrec.com/news/press/p046.htm

Regards
Richard
Richard Lumb
Analog Enthusiast

Postby sonicdom » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:18 am

i can't comment on the calrec, but studer 901's are really nice consoles if they have the 'a' modules (4band eq). i used to own a 901 and a 902 and in both consoles i only had to replace 1 aux pot and 1 eq pot in several years of almost daily use. however, they were both very well maintained (they came from classical music universities) to begin with. the main drawback is that they aren't very flexible when it comes to routing and inserts. mine only had 4 balanced inserts. there were insert send/returns on every channel, but unless you patched them through the internal balancing units, you would have an unbalanced -10dB signal... so this is something to look out for with studers. there are some around that have balanced inserts but these are usually 903's or even bigger frames.

dom
sonicdom
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Richard Lumb » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:53 pm

The minimixer has all balanced I/O with inserts and direct outputs on each channel.
The eq is 3 band +-15dB with parametric mid. 250Hz-4KHz
HF switchable 10kHz and 5kHz
LF switchable 60Hz and 160Hz
HF filter 10kHz
LF filter switchable 47, 82 and 120Hz

Richard
Richard Lumb
Analog Enthusiast

Postby monkeymarc » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:57 am

Thanks for all the information guys. Can you tell me then if you think the calrec m3 minimixer could mix a whole album on. I have a radar 24 to play back the files on and record to. Would the quality of the line channels and eq and compression be of of high enough quality to mixdown my stems to a stereo track for a final product.
I need to know if the mixer has an open sound and if the eq's are up there enough to mix full projects. I especially will be mixing bass heavy music like dub and hip hop.
Thanks guys
Marc
monkeymarc
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Richard Lumb » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi Marc,
The console has a very open clean sound with a good 20-20k response of broadcast quality. The line inputs are nice and quiet, low distortion and plenty of headroom. It is very good for recording on and many do for that reason. You could mix on it easily but obviously the eq is limited for it's size. If you want more control you can patch in a full 4 band out board eq into the inserts along with your favourit compressor. You also have a choice of main outputs on either transformer or electronic.

Regards
Richard
Richard Lumb
Analog Enthusiast

Postby monkeymarc » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:08 am

Thanks so much guys for all your information and advice. Sorry for my late response to your answers.
Anyways. I ended up getting the Calrec M3. I've had it now for a week up and running. Its a 20/4/2 with two compressors on the master channel. This little baby rocks. It has huge headroom, smooth eq and killer mic pre's. Direct outs on every channel. Even hitting the console harder sounds very cool. This sounds like a large format console in a small frame.
Its the best thing I have aquired in ages.
Now I am desperately in need of the manual. If anyone has a pdf version that would be great. I have to make up a lot of db50 dsubs and am not sure what standard they are. These control all out the outputs so I want to get these wired up asap. I have tried emailing calrec but had no luck as yet.
If anyone has anything please email me at combatculture@hotmail.com
Thanks again
Marc
monkeymarc
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Richard Lumb » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:11 pm

Hi Marc,
Calrec have a limted support resource so you may have to wait. A phone call may help.
If you give them the serial number it should be traceable.
A CD rom handbook would typically be £60
I'll PM you and interface pinout.

The D50s are a unique pinout to Calrec only.
Regards
Richard
Richard Lumb
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Morris » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:12 am

I am selling a 16ch MK1 minimixer should you be interested
Morris
Analog Owner

Return to Calrec Recording Consoles