Stolen Calrec desk

With a comprehensive range of mixing consoles, Calrec has been a manufacturer of high quality audio products since 1964.

Moderators: GJC Designs, Richard Lumb

Stolen Calrec desk

Postby klett » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:58 pm

Here is a console we did some work on that was stolen... just putting out the word in case anyone here see's this turn up - contact info and pics on this page

https://docs.google.com/View?id=dfc6zjtt_40d54whrhm

Calrec M Series Console - Stolen
Custom built for Maida Vail Studios - Calrec MV001

Missing since July 2009

Taken from a house in Woodstock, NY.
Console is property of Duncan Sheik
Contact: Michael Tudor - 917-913-8835 - michael@mtudormusic.com
klett

Re: Stolen Calrec desk

Postby Dr Benway » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:32 pm

PM sent.. I hope something can come of it.
Dr Benway
Analog Enthusiast

Postby klett » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:42 am

Yes - well Matt and I did a chunk of work on this desk for our client and it sounding quite good - hugely improved over what we were handed. It's a neat little console. The client went off on tour and at some point it was spirited away. The engineer for the client has been blasting out stuff to the brokers. I want to see if we have a serial number list for the modules - sometimes we do that and sometimes we use channel numbers... we did the work a couple/few years ago so we're digging through files for that. I imagine the desk, if was stolen by anyone with a clue, was broken up and sold off as parts. But generally people who know what this stuff is have better things to do than break into houses to steal large and unique consoles so hopefully it will simply turn up. Some poor bastard is going to buy stolen property, not knowing it's history, and he'll look for someone to make it go... and he'll pop up on the radar... and he might have to give it back to the owner and loose his money.
klett

Postby Matt Syson » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:58 am

Hi
As you have probably noticed all Calrec desks have serial numbers 'a plenty'.
Certainly the older series had them engraved on the faceplates of modules and all the 'active' subcards in the rear frames had unique numbers too.
The factory would have had a master copy of where all the various parts went, not only the customer but which module slot it went into in the desk (that was a tedious excercise!) The BBC used to 'expect' that the channel modules ran in serial number order (a good slapping neccessary here me thinks).
Matt S
Matt Syson
Engineer

Return to Calrec Recording Consoles