Calrec Q series.

With a comprehensive range of mixing consoles, Calrec has been a manufacturer of high quality audio products since 1964.

Moderators: GJC Designs, Richard Lumb

Calrec Q series.

Postby allarts » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:07 am

Hi.
This time I've laid my hands on a Calrec Q-series console, the "high rise", space saving model.
It's got 44 channels, all are stereo, so the total inputs are 88! It has 6 main stereo outputs,
8 stereo subgroups and an additional 8 stereo subgroup matrix outputs. It also has 6 mono aux
sends and 2 stereo aux'es. In addition to that all seperate outputs from every channel. All
this in a very compact format.
I sold the BBC Glasgow console I acquired some years ago to another studio, mainly because it
didn't have as many outputs as I need in my work. This time I can't complain....

I just installed the q-console and manufactured the most necessary interface cables (yes, the old cabling was cut....) in order to get it working in a basic setup. I have sound (!), haven't still decided if it's
fantastic or not, but it's promising.

The console was manufactured 1991, It's been operative in the BBC TV Center Studio 4, and also in a BBC OB van recently.
Most of the console seems to be in good working order, although there are some issues that needs attention. Have to check 2 of the power supplys, and also I've found 2 input modules that are not working.

Unfortunatly the seller has failed to provide me with tech schematics, so now I'm calling for help, if anybody has any info or know somebody who might have, I would greatly appreciate it. I have also mailed Calrec directly, although I doubt they
would have anything left. If anyone of you have any experience with these consoles, soundwise or in any
other aspect, I'd really appreciate any inputs or opinions.

The modules are
EQ QF 2925
Input PY 2941
Aux sends AR 2927
Power supply ZN 3018

Many thanks, cheers!
Alar Suurna
All Arts Recording
Stockholm
All Arts Recording AB
www.shortlist.se/allarts
allarts
Analog Enthusiast

Re: Calrec Q series.

Postby mrclunk » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:23 am

Hi Alar,
Just saw your post,
We've a similar Calrec console also from the BBC, I've some of the tech doc's for the modules you mention.
If you still need them let me know.

best
paul
mrclunk
Analog Enthusiast

Postby nhrt69 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:51 pm

I discovered an old Calrec Q system for a great cost however i understand hardly any about it. Producer I work whit states it´s one of the best things out there, i believe that the actual sound quality from the Calrec things We heard is excellent, but I don´t know if the work movement will be so great simply because I don't have bloc chart or even schematic from the console.
There are several unusual features around the console. For example; all stations tend to be stereo channels, or double channels that can be changed in some way. The actual console is not a divided system, but it's not an in-line console possibly....
All of us report mainly entire bands down to 2" 24-track analogue mp3 device. Wouldso would this table end up being established to work whit which in a handy way?

Will anybody have schematics or bloc blueprints for this table (or any other earlier Carlrec system)?
nhrt69
Analog Owner

Postby GJC Designs » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:59 am

All of Calrec's analogue consoles were custom made, so unless you get manuals with the console, it is unlikely that you will get a block schematic from anyone other than Calrec. Consoles were typically supplied with two sets of manuals - one for the studio and one for the tech workshops. If you really want to get a block schematic for the console you will need to contact Calrec directly - www.calrec.com They will REQUIRE the console serial number and works order number to be able to locate the info on their database. For older consoles, this information is located on a plate on the connector panel area of the rear of the console. Be prepared to have to pay for any schematics - time, effort and cost is incurred on retrieving, printing & posting (or e-mailing) of drawings.

The facilities of the consoles are geared towards broadcast operating and technical requirements, so, yes, there will be some facilities that are foreign to the music recording industry. Stereo channels typically have LB and RB switches (left to both paths and right to both paths) to allow a mono signal to be processed down a stereo channel.

Unless the console is specifically configured for multitrack operation, it will not be in-line.

Regards,

Gareth.
Gareth
GJC Designs
Yacht Rocker

Postby egodino » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:57 am

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and I am kindly asking for your advice. I have the chance to buy 4 already racked and apparently working Calrec QF2925 modules at a quite decent price I guess, and I would like to know your opinion about its sound, pros and cons, etc. I am simply looking for my first outboard eqs for my home/mobile studio and the price per channel I would get is around 140 eur.

Thanks a lot in advance and regards
egodino
Analog Owner

Postby stevland » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:28 am

Hi,

if anyone does have any tech docs for the Q series I'd appreciate seeing them, - I've acquired a 60 (stereo) channel console from BBC Cardiff.

Thanks!
stevland
Analog Enthusiast

Postby allarts » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:04 am

Hi Paul!
If you still have any doc's left for the modules I have, I'd greatly appreciate if you could send me copies somehow, electronically
if possible, or by snail-mail. Turned out there were quite a few modules that needs attention....as usual on old analog stuff!
I know it might be difficult to make copies if the schematics are in big format, but if there should be any costs involved
please let me know, I'd be happy to pay the expenses.

mrclunk wrote:Hi Alar,
Just saw your post,
We've a similar Calrec console also from the BBC, I've some of the tech doc's for the modules you mention.
If you still need them let me know.

best
paul
All Arts Recording AB
www.shortlist.se/allarts
allarts
Analog Enthusiast

Return to Calrec Recording Consoles