UA8000 "POLAR" - info on VCA automation & fade

With a comprehensive range of mixing consoles, Calrec has been a manufacturer of high quality audio products since 1964.

Moderators: GJC Designs, Richard Lumb

UA8000 "POLAR" - info on VCA automation & fade

Postby Tox » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:49 am

I have a 48 channel UA8000 that I got out of Nashville a year ago. It is currently apart. Once I get my rooms built, it will up and running. So what I need to know is how the VCA automation works and what was put into the console. I have all the schematics for the console, but I don't think I have anything for the automation. It was setup for VCA, but doesn't have it in it, I believe. I am looking at a Diskmix 3 system that has enough faders for the console. The size of the Otari fader panels and the Calrec's are way different. I was thinking of stripping the parts and board out of the Otari panels and retrofitting them into the Calrec panels. Maybe putting the Otari boards under the Calrec backplane and running loger interconnect cables for hooking up all the controls. Also running new cables or patching in to the Calrec automation buttons and tie them into Diskmix, instead of using the Otari. There is also the problem with fader size. The Otari uses big old, sealed P&G faders. They look bigger than the ones I have. I wonder if they might actually hit the backplane ports. There is also the kind of fader too. The Calrec appears to use Linear faders(?) It says PGF 3210-D-M-X-A. Part number 25426. Does the Calrec have a dual channel fader that is Linear for VCA data voltage and tapered for audio? Or is it controlling a VCA or gain stage all the time with a linear voltage? Also, is there a DATA bus for all the logic controls and VCAs? If so, can it be tied into for Diskmix retrofit? I really need automation for the console. If I don't do Diskmix, I thought of making my own with servo controlled Alps faders and MIDI or using cheaper P&G faders and controlling a THAT VCA circuit. Either of those systems would be recorded on a host sequencer. Biggest problem is getting servo cards designed and made at a good price. Hope someone can give me so on this. I'm not into spending 20k on Martin Sound Faders.

Thanks
:?
Tox
Analog Owner

Postby Matt Syson » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:15 pm

Hi
The UA8000 was designed to allow 'easy' connection of Mastermix automation and as such has VCAs on each channel 'embedded' into the strip. There are ribbon cables (headers) 20 pin if I remember correctly which give access to fader volts out to automation, control volts back to the VCA and a bunch of switch and LED lines for the various 'status' buttons on each fader strip. I forget whether the strips use the Alison EGC 'blue blocks' or the Valley People equivalent but I believe the control voltages are 0 to 10 Volts span (which could be rescaled if necessary).
I have some of the schematics for the AMS automation which was only fitted to 3 desks as far as I know but several had the Mastermix option installed. The point being that hardware wise the desks were the same (I think but it was 20 years ago).
Unfortunately I do not have the schematics for the UA8000 but I was involved in factory testing and commissioning several of them.
PM me if you have any further thoughts on any of this.
Matt S (moderator on AMEK section)
Matt Syson
Engineer

Postby GJC Designs » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:27 pm

Thanks for the in-depth reply, Matt.

Although I did some work on the UA8000 that was in London up until 1992-ish, none of the work related to the TASK automation system.

The work that I did was to improve the console's channel and monitor path cut switching by replacing the 4053 switch ICs with a crafty little sub-board of almost the same size as the 4053. The R&D was done in conjunction with the studio's senior technical engineer.
Gareth
GJC Designs
Yacht Rocker

Postby Matt Syson » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:59 pm

Hi Gareth
I don't suppose you can remember the circuit of your sub board? It would be interesting to see. I presume it was a FET 'fast ramp' rather than the uncontrollably fast cut of the 4053?
Matt S
Matt Syson
Engineer

Postby GJC Designs » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:16 am

Yes, it was a FET based design. I'll dig it out of the archive when next rummaging!

Cheers,
Gareth
GJC Designs
Yacht Rocker

Postby Richard Lumb » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:42 pm

Hi Tox,
The Mon fader is the one the automation controls but you could flip this from the small or large fader to control the monitor path.
The fader was fed from a 10v reference line. 0v full on 10v off I think.
I don't know much about the automation though Alpha studios in LA replaced thier TASC automation with SSL-G automation I think.
Gary and Denny are real nice guys if you track them down. Denny was the Tech and knew his stuff.
The 20 way ribbon had fader control out on pin 19 and return from automation on pin 20.
Cut to automation pin 1, return pin 12.
Logic works around 5v.
The switches were just contacts and tallies from automation.
If the voltage to the VCA went too high it would turn the VCA back on so you need to watch that.

Good luck and enjoy.
Richard
Richard Lumb
Analog Enthusiast

Postby jensenmann » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:49 pm

Feedback Recording in Denmark runs an UA8000. Their tech might be able to help, he has the schematics of the desk an years of expierience with it
Jens
jensenmann
Yacht Rocker

Re: UA8000 "POLAR" - info on VCA automation & fade

Postby porkyc » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:57 pm

I've got a MasterMix manual if this needs be part of this discussion. I'm in London.
PC
porkyc
Yacht Rocker

Postby Tox » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:18 pm

porkyc wrote:I've got a MasterMix manual if this needs be part of this discussion. I'm in London.
PC

If you have detailed info on pin-outs and I/O of the automation system, that would be great. It would be nice to graft my "brown box" into a midi/time code system.
Tox
Analog Owner

Postby caseyrice » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:53 pm

HI,

I'm not sure if this is of any interest to any of the UA8000 owners out there, but I have taken possession of two AMS Studio computer systems removed from a UA8000 here in Melbourne. If anyone needs them as spares, or to revive their old AMS automation, they are yours for the taking if you pay freight.

Casey Rice
caseyrice
Analog Owner

Return to Calrec Recording Consoles