Calrec C2

With a comprehensive range of mixing consoles, Calrec has been a manufacturer of high quality audio products since 1964.

Moderators: GJC Designs, Richard Lumb

Calrec C2

Postby Woodlands » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:29 pm

Hi Can anybody give me some info on the C2 and how they differ from the other Calrec series?

I'm looking at purchasing a console with 28 mono, 8 stereo, 8 groups and 4 VCA channels. What would the modules be? And how would they sound? both for mixing and tracking?

Any info appreciated. If any body could direct me to something mixed on a C2 that'd be great too. Cheers
Woodlands
Analog Owner

Re: Calrec C2

Postby GJC Designs » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:47 am

The C2 is the second generation of the "Compact" series. It is a modern console built with surface-mount components. Facility-wise, it is more comprehensive than the "Mini-Mixer" range, with only slightly less facilities than the bigger S and S2 console types.

Best ask the seller what the modules are! Calrec produce a range of modules for the C2, e.g. mono mic/line, stereo mic/line, stereo line input, a wide range of meter upstand modules (dynamics, filters, EQs, gates, etc). Mic input modules have a module identifier number prefixed by PQ, line inputs have a prefix of BQ. All have a 4-digit suffix.
All Calrec consoles have a clean sound to them; the EQs are accurate and effective in what they do.

Trusting this is of help.
Gareth
GJC Designs
Yacht Rocker

Postby Woodlands » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:00 pm

Thanks Gareth. What do you mean by "surface mounted"? Is there much of a sound difference between the different modules?

Also, is there much of a difference in sound between the different Calrec series' ?

I'm looking to track directly to 1 inch 8 track, as well as using the console for mixing/summing, is the C2 a good series to chase for this kind of purpose? Thanks!

ps I'm in the process of finding the module no's. I assumed all of the C2 series might use a similar range of modules, but maybe not...?
Woodlands
Analog Owner

Postby GJC Designs » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:34 am

Surface mount - modern manufacturing. Vast info is available on SMD / SMT on the net. The majority of modern electronic products use surface mount. Advantages are cost, reliability and consistency for both assembly and operational performance.

All Calrec consoles will have a consistently good technical performance which directly relates to a good sound. As I am not a recording engineer I do not get involved in discussions that describe the "sound" or the "character" of a console. Broadcasters are some of the fussiest audio businesses in the world - they demand quality, reliability, consistency and high-levels of performance. These expectations are in regard to technical, operation and the sound itself. Many of the world's broadcasters insist on Calrec consoles for all of these factors. In broadcast facilities you are likely to find consoles from several manufacturers, but in the main studios and master control areas Calrec is the predominant brand.

C2 will be good for your intended purposes.

Consoles were manufactured to customer requirements using modules from a range available. The typical choices for input channels being:
Mono mic/line,
Stereo mic/line,
Stereo line input.
Gareth
GJC Designs
Yacht Rocker

Return to Calrec Recording Consoles