calrec assignable

With a comprehensive range of mixing consoles, Calrec has been a manufacturer of high quality audio products since 1964.

Moderators: GJC Designs, Richard Lumb

calrec assignable

Postby pacoloco » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:26 am

hi anybody who knows something about the assignable console?

thanks
pacoloco
Analog Enthusiast

Postby GJC Designs » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:04 am

Hi Paco,

Yes, quite a bit is known about Calrec's assignable consoles, both by myself and Richard who also moderates this part of the Calrec world.
Which assignable is it you are interested in? VCS or T-Series?
What is it that you need to know?

Best regards,
Gareth
GJC Designs
Yacht Rocker

Postby Richard Lumb » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:32 pm

Hi Paco,
What is it you need to know?
Richard Lumb
Analog Enthusiast

Re: calrec assignable

Postby Vintagetools » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi everybody,

just signed to this nice forum. I saw this post from 2008, but maybe the same guys are still around here or someone else can help.
I got offered two Calrec assignable consoles lately. I found out they are 48 fader and 64 fader T-series consoles.
I couldn´t find much information one these, just know they are analog with digital control. Can anyone tell me something about their sound (and value). Is it worth to de-install and stock them. Or is it better to just canibalize the desk and take some cards, etc.

Thanks for any info on the desks.

Oliver
Vintagetools
Analog Enthusiast

Postby GJC Designs » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:56 am

Cannibalising is not practical due to the digitally controlled analogue nature of the design. You will need software and firmware to drive the cards. Audio cards are about 18 inches x 18 inches in size with several sub-boards that plug-in. You could design something to create control signals to drive the sub-boards.

There is specific software and firmware for each console as all the T-Series consoles were custom made for each client and each is therefore slightly different with regard to facilities.

I don't get involved with subjective discussions about "the sound" of consoles - any consoles.
The same goes for console value.

Expect to have to re-cap the consoles if this has not been done in the past 8 years. Virtually all caps are surface-mount.
Gareth
GJC Designs
Yacht Rocker

Postby Vintagetools » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi Gareth,

thanks for your answer. I know that it is not easy to describe the sound of a console, but I assume, that if the signalpath is 100% analog the specs will be as good as you expect from a Studer or Neumann mixer.

Do you know if the t-series consoles had dynamic automation? I read they have 60 channels with 2x line and 1x mic input each. Do you know if each channel has an insert and direct out? If yes it might still be interessting for some studios to work with, as long as it is cheap enough.
Vintagetools
Analog Enthusiast

Postby GJC Designs » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:05 pm

Hi Oliver,

I assume, that if the signalpath is 100% analog the specs will be as good as you expect from a Studer or Neumann mixer.

The signal path is 100% analog.
The specs meet, and in may respects exceeded, the stringent requirements of the broadcast organisations into which the consoles were sold.

Do you know if the t-series consoles had dynamic automation?

Dynamic automation as in sync to timecode? I don't think the consoles synced up to timecode. Best check with Calrec customer service for confirmation.

I read they have 60 channels with 2x line and 1x mic input each.

Channel-count varied according to customer requirements in multiples of 12. I think the smallest T was 36 channels. Consoles with channel counts of 60 and above were also made.
Input selection for both the Mono and the Stereo input cards is Mic1, Mic2, Line1, Line2. (A stereo channel can accept two stereo mics and two stereo lines).

Do you know if each channel has an insert and direct out?

Yes to both.
Some stereo channel cards were customised for a mono direct out. The core design was for stereo direct out on stereo cards.

If yes it might still be interessting for some studios to work with, as long as it is cheap enough.

The cost of purchase may be cheap; the cost of ownership may not be so cheap.
Expect to invest in re-capping, if not now, then at some point in the future. With the best components (and I don't mean audiophool parts) a re-cap should give a minimum of 10 years of reliable operation.

Cheers,
Gareth
GJC Designs
Yacht Rocker

Postby Vintagetools » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:19 pm

Thanks Gareth,

I think I´ll give it a try, take the consoles and see what I do. I wish I had more time for all those projects... :-)
maybe if I´ll get 150 years and stay healthy, work 24/7...hm... I could do some of the stuff on my list. :-/
Vintagetools
Analog Enthusiast

Postby GJC Designs » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:52 pm

That's OK Oliver.

Good luck with the consoles.

I can relate to the 150 years and working 24/7....... sounds like the life of a self-employed technical engineer in the audio industry!

Cheers,
Gareth
GJC Designs
Yacht Rocker

Return to Calrec Recording Consoles