Getting an M-Series up and running

With a comprehensive range of mixing consoles, Calrec has been a manufacturer of high quality audio products since 1964.

Moderators: GJC Designs, Richard Lumb

Re: Getting an M-Series up and running

Postby Matt Syson » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:56 am

Hi Adam and Richard
I was guessing at XL1499 so please see what the existing mix amp cards are and whether the coding for the PFL slot is the same.
I don't know why so many 5 Volt regulators unless a couple were used to supply the 'DC converter' cards which may have been 5 Volt to (240 Volt?) switchmode units.
One of the few who might remember is DWD but probably not details.
If Adam could get some decent pics of the rear of the cardframe it may help working out what is needed. If you don't intend to use the plasmas then you could probably ignore this area and simply look for the PFL card.
Matt S
Matt Syson
Engineer

Postby adamm » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:14 am

Thanks Matt and Richard. I have some good news. I received the console as an empty frame with boxes of modules, faders, cards, etc, but I do have pics of the console fully assembled. I noticed after a closer inspection of the pics that the PFL slot is behind the mono VU meter, and that there is a knob on the left side of the meter that says PFL. Turns out that it's not a card at all; the module with the mono VU meter has the PFL component built into it. Slid right in. Sorry for the confusion on this.

So it appears as though I'm only missing the DC Converter cards. I was able to read the coding bar on those slots. (Thanks for that info; very enlightening). The B, E, and J teeth were broken off on both DC Converter slots. Does this help? I'll also pass this along to the person I've been speaking with at Calrec.

I'm told that there was actually an automation system on this console, but I believe it was removed. I wonder if all those cards are even necessary anymore. I'm in contact with someone who used to operate this console back at COI. He's not a tech, but maybe he'll remember something about this. Also, he did mention before that they ended up having to use outboard metering because the plasmas weren't working properly. I don't know the details, but I wonder if the DC Converter cards were removed because they were no longer needed. I'll see if he remembers anything about this too.

So it's possible that I won't even be able to use the plasmas, and it sounds like that means I wouldn't need the DC Converter cards afterall. I wasn't able to do the trace of those slots yet, so I'll be sure to double check that they are in fact going to the plasmas. Even if I can use the plasma meters, it sounds like there is the option of powering them from an outboard supply. So good news all around. Though I guess if you can figure out what type of cards I'm missing from the coding bar, and if anyone has a couple of those cards lying around, I'd still be interested in them. It would be comforting to know that everything is in place before powering it up. Still a long way off from that though.

I'll also be sure to get some pics of the rear cardframe posted asap.

Oh, and thanks Matt for the info on the caps.

Thanks again,
- Adam
adamm
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Matt Syson » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:28 pm

hi
The chances of more converter cards is VERY slim as there were only a small handful of desks using plasmas as far as I know.
Assuming this is what was needed you are much better off making a new supply for this part.
Matt S
Matt Syson
Engineer

Postby GJC Designs » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:30 am

I have had a look through the stock of cards, and I do not have any DC converters, or indeed any circuits for same.

The PFL thing is probably academic now, but the 2 card types I do have are:
LS1476 PFL LS Amp. Code BEP
XL1498 PFL Mix amp. Code BHJ
Gareth
GJC Designs
Yacht Rocker

Postby amorris » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:18 pm

couldnt you build a 240v supply for the meters? dc-dc converters for very long and if its not mobile just give the slot 240volts.
Studio Technician
amorris
Analog Enthusiast

Postby adamm » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:54 am

Thanks again for the replies. The guy I mentioned in my previous post who used to operate this console back at COI told me that the plasma meters were introducing noise into the mic pres, so a mod was performed. I've followed up to see if he may have more details.

A mod has in fact been performed, apparently concerning the Audio 2 power supply. I've posted pics. It looks like the female connector for the Audio 2 power supply cable was snipped off and permanently fixed to the frame. Then a nylon (?) connector was attached to the end of the cable coming from the PSU. I'm hoping that it might ring a bell for someone here. If not, would it be possible to tell from the pics and my description how that power supply should be connected to the desk? Here are some details...

There is a black wire and a brown wire coming out of that dangling female connector. The black wire is wired to the negative pin and the brown one is wired to the ground (is center pin the ground? the PSU calls it "CR".). Nothing is wired to the positive pin. The part of the cable that's hanging down has 5 wires inside the heat shrink sleeve - red, green, blue, orange, and black, though the black wire is not connected to anything on either end. The other colored wires, including the black and brown wire from the female connector, all run through to the section on the back with all the wires connected to it. I'm holding the bundle of wires that includes them in the last pic.

Also, this is probably a dumb question (many more of those to come, I'm sure)... what is that back panel in the last pic. It looks like a patch-bay of sorts for power wires. The top section is Audio and the bottom is Lamps. When I look at the color scheme, audio wires are blue, green, and red; lamp wires are orange, yellow, black, and brown. So it would follow that the red, green, and blue wires in that mod are powering the audio, and the brown and black (attached to the dangling female connector) would go to the lamps. I'm guessing that the nylon connector needs to be attached somehow to the red, green, blue, and orange wires? And if so, how would the lamps get power from this setup?

(NOTE: could not add more than 3 pics, so I'll post the other 2 up on another post.)

Thanks again,
- Adam
Attachments
1_audio2_connector_full.jpg
Audio 2 PSU mod
1_audio2_connector_full.jpg (61.2 KiB) Viewed 4548 times
2_audio2_cable_endpoint.jpg
Audio 2 PSU mod - endpoint with 4 colored wires. How to connect to Nylon connector coming from PSU?
2_audio2_cable_endpoint.jpg (61.46 KiB) Viewed 4548 times
3_audio2_cable_female_connector.jpg
Audio 2 PSU mod - dangling female connector permanently fixed to the frame.
3_audio2_cable_female_connector.jpg (59.08 KiB) Viewed 4548 times
adamm
Analog Enthusiast

Postby adamm » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:56 am

Here are the other 2 pics from my previous post. I could only post 3 at a time. Please see previous post for context. Thanks. - Adam
Attachments
4_audio2_cable_modded_connector.jpg
Nylon-looking connector replaces female 3-pin connector on Audio 2 PSU cable.
4_audio2_cable_modded_connector.jpg (51.4 KiB) Viewed 4548 times
5_power_section.jpg
What is this? Patch section for power wires?
5_power_section.jpg (87.66 KiB) Viewed 4548 times
adamm
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Matt Syson » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:00 pm

Hi
The colours are Red +17, Blue -17 green CR Centre rail Audio.
Brown 8 Volts lamps, Yellow 5 Volts (logic) and Black lamp / logic ground.
It will be almost impossible to say what else should be connected up since the 'mod' has been performed as it may be as simple as 'I have lost a connector so will bodge something' to a real solution.
This may have to be rsolved by using 'first principles' (work out what the bargraphs want then connecting something suitable to it).
No one will be able to really remember wire colours 25 years on for a desk that is probably unique! I don't know if there were any others with plasmas and only a couple of people at Calrec would remember. It would depend on what paperwork remains.
Matt S
Matt Syson
Engineer

Postby Dub till ya drop » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:19 pm

adamm wrote:I'm in contact with someone who used to operate this console back at COI. He's not a tech, but maybe he'll remember something about this.
Hi Adam - that's me ! I thought it's about time I made an appearance on here.
I'm told that there was actually an automation system on this console, but I believe it was removed.

The two associated control panels are still in your desk (at least they were when it was advertised). They're highlited in red in the photo below. I've got a dim recollection that there was an events controller as well.

The 'brains' used to sit in a metal box on the producer's desk. There were no motorised faders, it was a system which controlled the VCAs.

To 'pick up' a mix you ran back on the tape to before where you wanted to drop in and adjusted the faders so that the LEDs on each strip went out (or possibly came on, I can't remember exactly - it was 20 years ago). Then you hit play on the tape machine and carried on with the mix.

On the topic of the Plasmas, I really think it would be a smart move to find another way. To put it bluntly they were a b****y nightmare. They went on the blink (literally) all the time, and we couldn't get the parts to fix them even back then. If I were restoring the desk I'd be inclined to get someone to build a LED ladder behind the existing panels, so that it would look 'fairly' original. But it is of course your choice.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Best wishes - John
Dub till ya drop
Analog Owner

Postby Matt Syson » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:40 pm

Hi
Yes of course the 10 Volt reference card was for the VCAs, it's been bugging me that I couldn'r remember what it did.
You could probably sell the plasma 'glass tubes' for a tidy sum, they were used on AMEK, NEVE and I think SSL. The NEVE version is well engineered but a complete 'pig' to fault in the desk find doe to its mechanical layout. Probably OK if you have a jig on a comfortable work bench!
The automation would probably interface with a 'mastermix' or other system like optifile or whatever quite easily.
Matt S
Matt Syson
Engineer

PreviousNext

Return to Calrec Recording Consoles