Getting an M-Series up and running

With a comprehensive range of mixing consoles, Calrec has been a manufacturer of high quality audio products since 1964.

Moderators: GJC Designs, Richard Lumb

Re: Getting an M-Series up and running

Postby adamm » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:28 am

Thanks again Matt, and thanks for joining in John.

I was thinking that I'll just wire the proper 3-pin female connector back onto the cable of the Audio 2 PSU and bypass that hack to see what's not getting power. Does this sound safe? I still have to get the PSU's converted to 120v and replace all those old caps first, so it'll be a while before I get to that point.

Regarding automation, I do have those control panels, but I don't have the brains. It's just 2 ribbon cables leading from the control panels to nowhere. That's ok by me though; one less thing to worry about. I'll probably just have a blank panel made for that section of the desk and put those control panels away for now. Sounds like there are options for integrating other automation systems down the road if I want to pursue that.

As for the plasmas, I'll investigate having LED's fit into those bus meters and getting an external power supply built for them. In the meantime, I can just use the VU's with the SEL's to check the busses (thanks for the tip John).

More to come...

- Adam
adamm
Analog Enthusiast

Postby adamm » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:21 pm

It looks like the manuals for this particular console are no where to be found. I was hoping that if I posted unit numbers, there may be members here that have schematics for a particular unit. If you have documentation for any of these units, I'll gladly pay for copies.

Here they are. The unit numbers are listed first and the count is in parentheses.

Thanks in advance,
- Adam

TB 1335 (2) Card - relay switching cards for talkback selection
TB 1345 (1) Card - amplifier for reverse talkback input
TB 1346 (1) Card - amplifier for talkback mic
2091 (16) Card - Non auto link card.
2090 (8) Card - VCA group fader card
AY 1344 (8) Card - 6 way switcher card for loudspeaker monitoring selection
LN 1327 (2) Card - 4-way line output card
ZN 1441 (3) Card - 5-Volt Voltage Regulator
ZN 1441-2 (1) Card - 5-Volt Voltage Regulator
ZN 1466 (1) Card - 10-Volt Reference for VCA
ZN 1703 (2) Desk PSU
ZN 1293 (1) Desk PSU
ZN 1296 (2) Logic PSU
ZN 1137 (1) Mic PSU
PQ 1253-4 (24) Channel strips with 4 band eq plus high and low filters
CR 1316-1 (24) Channel Routing - pan aux echo
GR 1317-2 (16) Bus Routing - Aux Echo Pan
CL 1288-2 (6) Compressor/Limitor
AL 1331-1 (2) Stereo Aux send w/ meter
AL 1331-2 (2) Mono echo send w/meter
AL 1331-3 (6) Mono Aux send w/ meter
JY 1329-2 (4) 2 channel stereo bus plasma meter
UY 1330-2 (1) Stereo VU meter
UT 1438 (1) Mono VU meter
SC 1450 (1) Tone Generator
FX 1340 (1) Has Hi and Lo EQ + Gain + On Air Button. Echo EQ / Gain?
ML 1332 (1) LS Monitor - Left cut / right cut / gain controls
LS 1326-3 (1) Says RTB on it and has 1 knob
AN 1341 (1) Direct Inputs aux 5-8
adamm
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Matt Syson » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:58 pm

Hi
While the main schematics for your desk will not appear anywhere except at the Calrec office or the place you got the desk from, at least some of the cards will appear elsewhere in other desks of this age (particularly).
The power supplies will be common to many desks.
The 1253 (or close variant) will appear elsewhere but the routers may well not do.
I have a couple of the schematics but if you are lucky you might find someone with more.
Good luck with your hunt and PM me if you need anything specific.
Matt S
Matt Syson
Engineer

Postby adamm » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:46 am

I know this is a longshot, but I was recently reminded that this was one of 2 very similar M-Series desks that were installed at COI at around the same time - one in Studio 1 and the other in Studio 2. I'm wondering if the person who bought the other desk from COI may have gotten all of the documentation for both desks, since the docs for this one seem to have vanished from the earth. Even if that's not the case, I'll bet that the 2 consoles were similar enough that the docs for the other desk would be useful to me as well.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here might know of the whereabouts of that other desk. It's probably S/N 312 or 314, desk type: M24/1610.

Just a thought. You never know.

Thanks again,
Adam
adamm
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Richard Lumb » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:07 pm

Hi Adam,
With that long a list of circuits you should try sending a request to Calrec customer support for a quote for replacement circuits/handbook.
support@calrec.com
Alot of the circuits went wayward during the transition from AMS back to Calrec in 1989 but there are still a few old M series circuits kept which could be copied. As Matt says, M series cards were common across that range and were still manufactured up till the early 90's. I recognise quite a few but some are unique to that console only.
The original system schematics would be on film, each system schematic was unique to that customer order and required dye line printing which few people use these days. Or a big scanner which Calrec don't have.
Even if they could find it it probably wouldn't be cost effective to do.
Typically a replacement paper handbook would set you back £500/ $750 plus postage for current products.
£30/circuit for one offs.
For 29 circuits this would equate to about $1,305
It may seem alot but they are considerably time consuming to copy. They aren't kept electronically.
It would take time for someone just to list the circuits they have.
If you are prepared to stump up that much I am sure they would consider the effort, otherwise I am afraid these requests do get very low priority as they have limited resouces to deal with such requests and have to prioritise supporting current products.
You may get lucky and catch them when they are quiet.

Regards
Richard
Richard Lumb
Analog Enthusiast

Postby adamm » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:32 pm

Thanks Richard. I'll definitely do that. I guess I was underestimating the toil and trouble involved in finding/copying these schematics. I have been in contact with someone from Calrec, but I was holding out hope that the documentation for my desk or the Studio 1 desk would be found, so I haven't asked for the unit-specific schematics yet. Seems like it's time to bite the bullet on that.

Thanks again,
Adam
adamm
Analog Enthusiast

Postby adamm » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:34 pm

I just want to double check that no one here knows the whereabouts of the M-Series that was in Studio 1 at COI back in the 80's. It's probably S/N 312 or 314, desk type: M24/1610. I checked with Calrec and they don't have documentation on either desk. I didn't get any responses when I posted the question initially, so I'm assuming that no one knows where it is. I just wanted to double check though before asking Calrec to hunt for all of those unit-level schematics.

Thanks again,
Adam
adamm
Analog Enthusiast

Postby adamm » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:13 am

Hello all,

I'm happy to report that Calrec is able to provide me with unit-level schematics for all but a few of the components. I was hoping that someone here might have one or more of the missing schematics.

The key missing diagrams are for the 2 logic PSU's (ZN-1296) and 1 Mic PSU (ZN-1137). There's also a VCA group fader card (2090) and the mono VU meter (UT-1438). The meter is probably the least critical, because Calrec is able to provide a schematic for the stereo VU meter, so I'm hoping that there is enough info in there for a tech to be able to service the mono meter.

Of course I'm happy to pay for any trouble, materials, and shipping. Thanks very much in advance.

- Adam
adamm
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Dr Benway » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:46 pm

I will have a copy of the mic psu ZN 1137 schematics for sure. I've pm you. Hope this will be of some help.
Dr Benway
Analog Enthusiast

Postby adamm » Sun May 31, 2009 10:11 am

Hello all,

First of all, I want to thank Dr Benway for being so kind as to scan/send some of the schematics I was unable to acquire from Calrec. My tech finally has all of the schematics he needs to get the PSU's running smoothly.

So it appears as though this desk is not capable of turning on/off phantom power per channel. I wasn't able to find a switch at the channel level (strip, routing, fader), and John/Dub till ya drop confirmed that COI didn't need this capability. The only phantom power LED appears to be on the unit that holds the TB mic, so it looks like it is either on or off for all channels at once.

There is a mic/line switch on the PQ-1253 channel strip. Does selecting "L" turn off phantom power for the channel? Even if so, I guess that doesn't help with ribbon mics, etc. I noticed that the circuit diagram for the PQ-1253 refers to a "Mic Low Level I/P" and a "Mic High Level I/P". Does this have anything to do w/ phantom power on/off?

I was hoping that someone could offer suggestions as to how to make phantom power switchable per channel.

Thanks again in advance,
- Adam
adamm
Analog Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Calrec Recording Consoles