Getting an M-Series up and running

With a comprehensive range of mixing consoles, Calrec has been a manufacturer of high quality audio products since 1964.

Moderators: GJC Designs, Richard Lumb

Re: Getting an M-Series up and running

Postby GJC Designs » Sun May 31, 2009 12:42 pm

Phantom power is always on.

"L" Switches mic/line only; it has nothing to do with phantom.

There are no switches in the Mic High Level and Mic Low Level paths.

The only way to turn phantom on/off is to have an EXTERNAL phantom switching system. I have designed such a box for the M Series that I am refurbishing. The box is placed between the mics and the console channels and phantom power is switched on/off on a per channel basis.

Gareth.
Gareth
GJC Designs
Yacht Rocker

Postby Matt Syson » Sun May 31, 2009 4:00 pm

Hi
If I remember correctly there will be a 'RF filter' board with a bifilar choke, some caps and the 6K8 Ohm phantom power resistors on it fitted somewhere between the module and the input connector. Often on the fixing strip at the rear of the module motherboard. This would have the phantom 'bussed' to all the channels so you could undo the bussing and wire a switch to each channel.
Mic low and mic hi are the inputs to the TWO mic transformers as they change over at around the -20dB setting.
They have two pairs of input pins but are almost always paralled together, with relays in the module swapping between the actual signals.
I hope this helps.
Matt S
PS Gareth I really must get over and see you sometime!
Matt Syson
Engineer

Postby adamm » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:41 pm

Thanks again guys. Very helpful. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me.

- Adam
adamm
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Dr Benway » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:12 am

It's been my pleasure Adam. Not a problem at all. I'm still going through my manuals for the other cards but I think I've exhausted things at my end. I'll be in touch directly to you in the next day or two.
I'll also update the forum in the coming weeks of our install..
Cheers.
Dr Benway
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Dub till ya drop » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:30 am

I was just going through my picture library and found this one....

Adam - This is what your lovely desk should look like when you're finished - minus the idiot operator (if it's any consolation I look alot worse nowadays !!)

Best wishes,

John
Dub till ya drop
Analog Owner

Postby adamm » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:05 pm

Hello all. Just wanted to post a quick update. Since my last post I've actually moved from Chicago to Washington, DC, and progress on the refurb has pretty much screeched to a halt in the process. The frame is currently here with me in DC, but the modules and cards are still back in Chicago. I'll be bringing those down next weekend. Fortunately, I was able to get all the PSU's serviced. Picked them up last weekend. I'm hoping to get things going again in earnest next month. Should be an exciting month, because I'm hoping to fire up the console for the first time (probably just the empty frame initially). Of course I'll have plenty of questions before getting to that point, so I'll be posting again very soon. Thanks again for all your help to date.

Hey John - I actually have that pic of you and the Calrec. The guy who sold me the console had a link to a website with pics of your studio at COI; the pic you posted was on the website. Very cool. Actually, I wish it did come with the operator. Then at least someone would know what he was doing :-)

PS - any chance someone here knows of a tech with M-Series or similar experience in the DC area?

Thanks,
- Adam
adamm
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Matt Syson » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:58 am

Hi
While I may be incorrect here I was not aware of any M series going to the USA from new, unless you include the UA8000 in which case several went to the 'Nashville' area (within a thousand miles or so!).
As the desk is so modular and like modules can be swapped around, fault finding, at least to the module level is pretty easy.
At component level there is not a great deal that is 'difficult', assuming you have the schematics.
Matt S
Matt Syson
Engineer

Previous

Return to Calrec Recording Consoles