Soundcraft serie two

Founded in 1973, Soundcraft first made its mark with the launch of the Series 1, the first mixing console in a flightcase.

Moderator: GJC Designs

Soundcraft serie two

Postby nipper » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:31 am

Hi,
I have a 16/8/2 serie two console dated 1979 and would to fix some things:
in the eq sections the triple pots in certain position don' t let the signal to pass thru and so sound disappears; many pots scratch even if polished with contact cleaner. Do you suggest to replace the pots anyway? Have other pots' supplier name as I have only a contact with Omeg in UK and their pot are little expensive?
Thanks
Giac
nipper
Yacht Rocker

Postby GJC Designs » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:50 pm

It does not matter which supplier you choose, triple post will always be expensive. The console is 27 years old, so it is reasonable for the pots to be ready for replacement.

Omeg is a good choice for quality; they are also helpful for special pots...... and small quantities of special pots will be expensive.

How are the electrolytic capacitors? Have they ever been tested or replaced?
Gareth
GJC Designs
Yacht Rocker

Postby nipper » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:45 am

Gareth,
thanks for the answer; electrolytics never replaced, they are the old Philips blue capacitors and I think is a good thing to replace them toghether with PSU caps because there is a lot of noise in the channel path. Do you suggest other components that can make noise in this old circuit so I can replace them?
I'm thinking to do this "make up" for use the board in a small recording space only for traking not mixing so I need only part of the functions as MIC pres and aux for foldback to musicians' headphones. I used this mixer several years ago and balanced mic pres are good enough for the purpose.
Giac
nipper
Yacht Rocker

Return to Soundcraft Recording Consoles