JW modded 8000 headphone out to feed live room monitors

Founded in 1973, Soundcraft first made its mark with the launch of the Series 1, the first mixing console in a flightcase.

Moderator: GJC Designs

JW modded 8000 headphone out to feed live room monitors

Postby Adam Smith » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:06 am

Hi,

Like the topic says, I have a Soundcraft 8000 with an Audio Upgrades modded master section. I want to feed the power amp for the speakers in my live room with the headphone out, so I can use the level control for the headphone send as my level to the studio. I am currently using the mix out to feed the 2 track and the aux mix out to feed my control room monitors.

I thought the best way to go about this would be to make a stereo TRS to unbalanced 2x mono cable. My concern is since that send is meant to feed low impedance headphones, it wouldn't work with my amp, which had an input Z of 50k, unbalanced. 10k balanced. I'm worried it might even damage the master section, or get undue distortion.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Adam Smith
Analog Enthusiast

Re: JW modded 8000 headphone out to feed live room monitors

Postby Jim Williams » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:19 am

It will work fine. I would add a pair of 470 ohm resistors, one in series, one after to ground to attenuate the signal -6 db and limit the output current a bit. Use a right angle switchcraft TRS plug and it won't stand up.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Jim Williams
Yacht Rocker

Re: JW modded 8000 headphone out to feed live room monitors

Postby Bleiz » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:53 am

Hi guys, I borrow this thread as I have become an S 8000 owner this weekend and would like to know how to change the monitor function from the master to aux faders, the one mod that Jim W states includes "some cutting cables" etc...???

I live in Sweden and have searched the web for master section upgrades where most of them happens to be on this eminent forum, it isn't viable however to send the mastersection from Sweden to USA for this therefore I'd so much appreciate on what mods are "necessary" or not, would gladly pay for the info Jim Williams and do it on my own :-)

Cheers - Kristian Lakeson
Bleiz
Analog Enthusiast

Return to Soundcraft Recording Consoles