Soundcraft Delta 8 Console ~ Info & Resources, Please?

Founded in 1973, Soundcraft first made its mark with the launch of the Series 1, the first mixing console in a flightcase.

Moderator: GJC Designs

Soundcraft Delta 8 Console ~ Info & Resources, Please?

Postby AshokanKid » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:57 pm

Hi there;

I've got a "new" console and am having a heck of a time finding out ANYTHING about this beast, even after doing a quite extensive search on the interwebs.

It is a Soundcraft Delta 8, seemingly "stock production" 36 X 8 X 2 console (pictures attached).

Would love to hear from other owners (if such exist) and learn anything about the production history and any resources for this cool looking mix desk, including;

Original production date?
Approximate MSRP cost?
Service manuals? (Have DLed the "user manual" already)
Recommended mods, upgrades, maintenance tips, etc.?
ANY other useful owner experiences and or resources?

Thanks MUCH in advance for any assistance~!

AK

AshokanKid
Analog Owner

Re: Soundcraft Delta 8 Console ~ Info & Resources, Please?

Postby drgkdx » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:50 pm

This is essentially a Soundcraft Delta (which were 4 buss), with 8 busses.
If you look at any Delta module PCB, which are all 4 buss, you'll see there are 2 empty switches for the extra 2 routing switches if used as a "Delta 8" (and of course, no extra holes cut on the module faceplate on a reg. Delta...)

So any info you find on the Delta, applies exactly to the Delta 8.
The module #'s might differ, but as far as i've seen, the actual PCB's are identical between the delta and delta 8 channel modules and subs. The Master module is slightly different though.
Soundcraft actually still has Delta and Delta 8 manuals on thier website as a free download.

There's tons of info on Deltas out there, with Jim Williams being a great source for Mods and repairs.
drgkdx
Analog Enthusiast

Postby AshokanKid » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:30 pm

drgkdx wrote:This is essentially a Soundcraft Delta (which were 4 buss), with 8 busses.
If you look at any Delta module PCB, which are all 4 buss, you'll see there are 2 empty switches for the extra 2 routing switches if used as a "Delta 8".

So any info you find on the Delta, applies exactly to the Delta 8.
The module #'s might differ, but as far as i've seen, the actual PCB's are identical between the delta and delta 8 channel modules and subs.

There's tons of info on Deltas out there, with Jim Williams being a great source for Mods and repairs.

EXCELLENT, Thank-YOU, and what I had already considered and gleaned from reading through many, many other forum posts regarding the Soundcraft Delta Series.

Is it also correct in assuming then that the Delta 8 may be less than optimal as a tracking, recording, mixing console due to the Delta (live sound) pedigree of this board?

Are these mixers capable of being utilized in serious studio situations?
Mainly asking this because of the lack of info about this particular desk.

Thanks again and looking forward to any other experiences and info from others.
AshokanKid
Analog Owner

Postby drgkdx » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:10 pm

well, the delta 8 was designed for more recording/tracking, not live. If you notice the master has switching for different monitor pairs (A/B) and with 8 busses you can sub more stuff during mixdown(or tracking if thats your thing)
I owned one briefly, you can do just about anything you need with it, for what it is.
It has the Delta pedigree, which is a solid, modular, UK made board that sounds good, with the ability to sound pretty great with some mods, that you probably got into pretty cheap.
I have seen list prices but can't specifically remember them, but i think a 36 ch Delta 8 was $20k+ US back in the day

Also -To be more specific, the Delta 8 has modules like the Delta DLX. which had the 6 knob aux (not a switchable 5/6)
drgkdx
Analog Enthusiast

Postby AshokanKid » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:17 pm

drgkdx wrote:well, the delta 8 was designed for more recording/tracking, not live.

It has the Delta pedigree, which is a solid, modular, UK made board that sounds good, with the ability to sound pretty great with some mods, that you probably got into pretty cheap.

Precisely the experience that I was hoping to hear, thanks.
Although "got into pretty cheap" can be very subjective, it seems like I got my moneys worth and then some. Old analog desks for cheap seem to abound more and more these days.

I suppose since the modules are very similar (Delta, DLX and Delta 8), I'll be able to find plenty of mod, upgrade, tweak and maintain info by perusing those forum threads.

My main concern is that this is a stable and viable platform to invest my time, effort and money into going forward to some point in the future. This is critical to me.

Huge plus is that the console is already here now, seems to be in excellent functional, cosmetic and electronic condition and needs nothing in terms of immediate maintenance.
This means that it is useful right away and that I can grow with the board over time, but only if the mixer is worth my time and effort (thus inquiring here for others experience).

Thanks again...
AshokanKid
Analog Owner

Postby drgkdx » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:48 pm

It's all kind of relative in the digital age....
The Soundcraft Deltas seem to be pretty fantastic for a bunch of reasons.
(again, relative, but...)
They were good quality UK made boards in thier day, with that aforementioned quality meaning they've endured the test of time, while having what seems to be the right mix of features to still be useful, while not be overcomplicated in design to constantly fail and be a burden to fix or mod.
And the sound quality was decent to start, and can be modded to pretty damn good, by todays standards.

That being said, i'm not sure anybody is specifically going to pay you anything extra if you are running a commercial studio, if you have any Delta, highly modded or not.
So, you know what you paid for it, look into having mods done, or doing them yourself, and put a total cost together and decide.
If its just for you and your music, and you have the time and/or funds, then just go for it, who cares what anybody thinks, its solid enough to make good music happen.
(remember though, garbage in, garbage out.....they are designed to function, not make magic, thats up to you)
drgkdx
Analog Enthusiast

Postby shenag » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:16 am

Nice to hear someone is using the Delta 8. I've been using the 36 channel at our church for 6 years now. I use to mix live worship. It was the board they had when I came there. I was told it was the same type of board Lynyrd Skynyrd used on the road. I'm still pretty wet behind the ears using it. I just sent a note off to Soundcraft for a technical manual. Last month the power supply went out. Sent it to the shop and they had to contact Soundcraft themselves to get advice on how to fix it. Ended up being some burnt up wires. All back up and running now. I saw on another forum that you could probably only get $5k out of it now, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My biggest learning gap is EQ. I hope to find some good info on mixing on an analog board. Any ideas. Thanks again for the post!
shenag
Analog Owner

Postby Jim Williams » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:37 am

Those consoles have 'best in class' -90 db stereo crosstalk at 10k hz. The rest are limited to around -60 db. I use two here, one in the studio, one for location recording. I work on all the consoles here, these came out the best which is why I bought them.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Jim Williams
Yacht Rocker

Postby AshokanKid » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:18 pm

Jim Williams wrote:Those consoles have 'best in class' -90 db stereo crosstalk at 10k hz.
I work on all the consoles here, these came out the best which is why I bought them.

Jim, I'd like to be able to improve my mixer a little at a time as money and free time permits me to do. Since I am "retired" and this is (at least for now) merely a hobby, there is no budget for this and so my need to be able to do as much of this myself ( Retired = I have more time now, but no money).

When I was younger (and my eyes worked better) I was an engineering tech and used to do a fair amount of troubleshooting and soldering, so I feel that I can handle the (fun?) chores of upgrading modules one at a time IF there was a materials list, schematic and instructions to follow along with.

Is there any such information available for this type of project? Any kits available, etc.?

Thanks much in advance for any assistance.

AK
AshokanKid
Analog Owner

Postby robertphilbeck » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:55 pm

I think they are about the best chip based console out there.

I have a Delta 8 w/28x8x2 configuration and a Delta DLX w/16x4x2. They are absolutely identical in sound, but the Delta 8 has four more busses, a meter bridge, and 16 multitrack returns that mult to the jukebox when an input on the channel strips are active. It's a super effective format for tape machines or HD Recorders, such as Radar.

The PSUs are fine, but the ventilation is not effective, so adding a fan to help it disperse the heat is a must. I think it is a good idea to have some spare voltage regulators around and an extra PSU if redundancy is critical.

I am not sure about all of the mods, but these were designed before Soundcraft was Harman. The gentlemen who designed these were sharp, and while I am sure budget was a concern at that time as well, I am just hard pressed to thing you could that much more out of a relatively low cost chip based console.

I am not able to find the manual on the website. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Robert
robertphilbeck
Analog Enthusiast

Return to Soundcraft Recording Consoles