How to recap my 8000 for recording - first steps

Founded in 1973, Soundcraft first made its mark with the launch of the Series 1, the first mixing console in a flightcase.

Moderator: GJC Designs

How to recap my 8000 for recording - first steps

Postby Tonealive » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:53 pm

I'm wanting to start by recapping a channel or two on my 8000 and seeing if it's worth it to go further. I have never done anything like that before, but I want to try. I use the board for recording through it's channels and then feed out the signal through the channel's direct outs. Also, I don't use the auxes and I'm thinking the eq is a low priority for now also.. So what kind of results would I get if I just recapped the parts associated with the mic and line input section and the fader? I'm looking for simplicity to start off with. And remember this is for recording, not mixing through the board or routing through the master section or busses.

Finally, where do I find the exact right parts to order and what is the best place to order them from?

Thanks everyone for your time!
Tonealive
Analog Enthusiast

Re: How to recap my 8000 for recording - first steps

Postby Jim Williams » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:58 am

Unless you are skilled at removing/replacing capacitors on through hole pcb's, don't do it. It's questionalble whether they need replacement unless the levels are off, the low end is lost or goop leaking out of them.
Use low offset opamps and they can be shorted out = no more caps.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Jim Williams
Yacht Rocker

Postby Tonealive » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:13 pm

Thanks for the reply Jim,

I'm not skilled at it - yet.. lol. But I have done some soldering and I WOULD be very patient and careful - I was looking into a Hakko 808 desoldering tool to make the job a lot easier.

But anyway, it's all about getting the best results if just updating a few caps per channel would make an improvement. And no, I don't hear a loss of low end, and the levels all seem to be very similar, and the circuit boards are all very clean with nothing leaking anywhere. I was really just interested to see if it could sound even better - I suppose the top end could open up a bit and a little more low end extension for kicks and basses is never a bad thing - but it sounds like you are saying that a recap with the same parts wouldn't change anything.

Also, I'm a little unclear about your last comment about the opamps. I wasn't intending on changing those to start with, just the most important caps. I'm probably missing something though, sorry.
Tonealive
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Jim Williams » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:41 am

Replacement caps are not going to make a major sonic difference. Enlarging them will extend the low end response.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Jim Williams
Yacht Rocker

Return to Soundcraft Recording Consoles