Roasted PSU

Founded in 1973, Soundcraft first made its mark with the launch of the Series 1, the first mixing console in a flightcase.

Moderator: GJC Designs

Roasted PSU

Postby robertphilbeck » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:20 pm

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

This is the dead PSU from my Soundcraft Spirit Pro Tracker. Would like any thoughts on what would cause blackening of the circuit board. Maybe this is normal from excessive heat over a long period of time? The casing has very little to no ventilation. Sound craft PSUs seem to have horrible ventilation.

Where can I purchase a new replacement supply?

Thanks
robertphilbeck
Analog Enthusiast

Re: Roasted PSU

Postby GJC Designs » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:11 am

Images are not unavailable / viewable.
This is the result:

Internal Server Error
Directory "/home/.sites/95/site29/web/download" is writeable by others
suPHP 0.7.1
Gareth
GJC Designs
Yacht Rocker

Postby robertphilbeck » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:07 am

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
robertphilbeck
Analog Enthusiast

Postby GJC Designs » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:29 pm

Bit of a problem here.....

RobertPhilbeck has tried to upload his pics of the unhappy PSU. We have had PM comms and I have tried to upload his pics, and have also failed.

Computers, IT & websites aside, what we have is a problem with a Matsushita PSU, model ETXCS023C1EE-2. Switch-mode type, outputs 55VDC @ 40mA, +17VDC @450mA, -17VDC @ 450mA.
The pic of the internals of the PSU show a phenolic PCB tat is seriously blackened on the surface, but the components themselves show medium discolouration; no obvious burn-ups.

Blackening such as is shown on the photo I have seen is due to heat over a long time. Phenolic PCB material is susceptible to heat discolouration. Along with the lack of ventilation, it does not inspire confidence. I suspect that a replacement PSU from Soundcraft will be of the same type and quality. A chat with their customer service guys may provide other options on PSUs or comments on the PSU type that you have.

A third-party PSU with the appropriate output voltages and current capability is another solution, but may be more costly than a replacement from Soundcraft.

Trusting this helps.
Gareth
GJC Designs
Yacht Rocker

Postby robertphilbeck » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:47 pm

Thanks Gareth. I did chat with Soundcraft and the part is not made any longer, and the gentleman who could recommend an aftermarket replacement was out until this week. I'll call and get his recommendation and post the info here so as to be helpful to anyone else running into this.

I will likely rebuild the supply and find a way to provide ventilation to it to hopefully improve its lifespan. It's kinda a wimpy looking supply for an eight channel mixer.
robertphilbeck
Analog Enthusiast

Return to Soundcraft Recording Consoles