Large format console PSU 24V went out

Founded in 1973, Soundcraft first made its mark with the launch of the Series 1, the first mixing console in a flightcase.

Moderator: GJC Designs

Large format console PSU 24V went out

Postby Tonealive » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:35 pm

Hey guys, I just had all of the vu meter lights go out on my 8000 24 channel console. The power supply also has one of its 24v lights out on the front.. Back by the psu, I smelled that something might have got a little toasted. Everything else is working fine on the console still though. Anyone know if this would be an easy fix to do on my own?
Tonealive
Analog Enthusiast

Re: Large format console PSU 24V went out

Postby robertphilbeck » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:40 pm

See my thread below regarding CPS 450 24 volt rail goes down and takes the Meterbridge with it. It sounds like you have the same issue. Voltage regulators. Let us know.
robertphilbeck
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Tonealive » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:15 am

Ah, yeah, looks to be the same thing. Do you happen to have a schematic for the power supply? Mine is the "Large Console Power Supply".. I don't see any other markings or serial numbers on it to give me any kind of specific model number. also, where did you get your parts from? I might try Gareth's suggestion of soldering the voltage regulators but if I need to replace the parts, I'll need a source. I read in your post that there were two different kinds of voltage regulators.. did you replace them all or just the one that was bad?
Tonealive
Analog Enthusiast

Postby robertphilbeck » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:06 am

I don't have a schematic, sorry. I got mine from ACK electronics in Atlanta and they're pretty much my go to for everything. They're very helpful. I purchased enough regulators to replace them all but just replaced the one that was bad. They plug right in.
robertphilbeck
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Tonealive » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:49 am

thanks for responding robert.

There are 4 VR spots on the side of the board and VR5 is inside the cage by the transistors, yet there are 6 types of voltage coming out of the power supply according the the LED lights on the front: 17v, 7.5v, 7.5v, 24v (the one that's out), 24v, 48v. Am I right in assuming that the 4th light, the 24v that is out on my supply, would correspond to the VR4 spot on the circuit board? Also, anyone know what exact part this is? Can't really read the top of it and I can't find a schematic or parts list for this supply anywhere.
Tonealive
Analog Enthusiast

Postby El Gato » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:31 am

Hi,

I think I can help you out with Large PSU schematics. PM me your email adress.

//Dan
El Gato
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Tonealive » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:16 am

Hi, I JUST saw your reply to my request for large cônsole power supply schematics for soundcraft consoles! Thanks so much for offering to help, I still haven't taken a crack at fixing it yet. I tried to pm you but it said you were not a valid user. Must be something wrong with the pm system. Is there another way?
Tonealive
Analog Enthusiast

Postby AnalogStudio7 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:25 pm

As an alternate, you can find Soundcraft schematics and parts at GRS. They have a web site at www.grssystems.com, but they don't list the schematics and parts on the site. Just ask for them

The also do Soundcraft service, repair and upgrades and they rebuild/repair Soundcraft PSUs and the build new power supplies too.

I've been doing business with them for two decades. Nice helpful people. They do good work too. They have built me several power supplies and fixed many console problems for me and they upgraded and rebuilt two of my consoles. Great work!

Oh, their email is info@grssystems.com. I usually work with either Hollie, Geoff, Joe or Paul.

Cheers,

Greg
AnalogStudio7
AnalogStudio7
Lake Forest, CA 92630
USA
AnalogStudio7
Yacht Rocker

Postby El Gato » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:21 pm

Tonealive wrote:Hi, I JUST saw your reply to my request for large cônsole power supply schematics for soundcraft consoles! Thanks so much for offering to help, I still haven't taken a crack at fixing it yet. I tried to pm you but it said you were not a valid user. Must be something wrong with the pm system. Is there another way?

What!?

I have received PMs on this forum before. Ok, visit my website and drop me an email there. http://www.missingmanrecordings.com
El Gato
Analog Enthusiast

Return to Soundcraft Recording Consoles