Neve 66

Neve’s founding father was Rupert Neve, who formed Neve in 1961. Since then, things have gotten, shall we say, interesting..

Moderator: ScotchMcNeilAudio

Neve 66

Postby kavide » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:10 pm

Hello there,

I need some good piece of advice...
I am very tempted to change my old console (Amek Angela) and I am considering a smaller Neve 66.
I can't find any literature on the net, it seems to be not a very popular console.
I know I am buying a broadcast mixer therefore not designed for tracking, how difficult is to use this console in a recording studio?
Is there any practical way of using it without tape returns?
Would this mixer make my life impossible?
It has four dynamic mods obviously no meters on the bridge, only two VUs, 12 stereo modules and 12 mono with mic input.
Any interesting thing to know anout this console?
Any information will be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone.

I still haven't heard the way it sounds but looking forward to it.
kavide
Analog Enthusiast

Postby ScotchMcNeilAudio » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:03 pm

Hi Kavide,

The 66 series console is a Neve broadcast console with the ability to recall the switch selections, routing and input gain levels.
There were 67 of these consoles manufactured between 1991 and 1996. They were very expensive due to the small production runs and most of them went abroad to the USA.
Most consoles are 4 group with 1 stereo output, some are 8 group with 4 stereo outputs and only one was built as an in-line console.
The console uses the same EQ circuitry as the 51 series console however all the selections run through 4051 style analogue switch ic's and the Direct outputs can be sent pre or post fader which allows for a bit of flexibility.
No input metering was fitted as standard and most consoles only had the stereo output meters and monitor meters (both being stereo ppm).
The desk is very basic for doing music especially when compared to an Amek Angela. That's not to say you can't use it but you will have to re-learn your style of working to get the benefits from it.
Ideally, I'd use the direct outs to record, using the routing to build a rough mix or groups for stereo sub mix and then use the 12 stereo inputs for mixing down to the stereo bus or groups again.

I think the console you are looking at is the one at Funky Junk which has the benefits of having dual faders on the stereo channels.

I hope the information helps you!

Regards,

McNeil
Scotch McNeil Audio -
European-wide Neve installation, service and parts support.

Ever Valued, Ever Near, Scotch McNeil Audio.
www.scotchmcneilaudio.com
ScotchMcNeilAudio
Analog Enthusiast

Postby kavide » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:33 pm

Yes, that's the console I am looking at...well spotted!!!
I went to see it, the eq sounds very gentle...I could say very HiFi if you see what I mean...but I have no previous experience wuth other Neve consoles, I can't tell if that is a good console worth having.
I think I will use the direct outs to send the signal to the recorder and the stereo channels for monitoring off the tape.
For mixdown I can use all the channels with a patch that activates all line inputs...does it make sense to you?
I didn't manage to test the dynamic modules because they were not wired yet.
How would you rate those compressors?
My main question is: am I getting a bit of the Neve sound?
...a tiny bit?

Davide
kavide
Analog Enthusiast

Postby ScotchMcNeilAudio » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:17 pm

Hi Davide,

The 66 console will give you a bit of the Neve sound as it uses transformers on the inputs and the outputs. It's got a good sounding EQ as I mentioned earlier.
The 4 meterbridge mounted gate/limiter compressors are the same fitted to each channel of a V3 or VR console and these were also used in the V-Rack input modules. They sound good and I haven't heard anyone saying they sound bad.

Have a good listen to the console and you'll see how you can use it and how it sounds.

Regards,

McNeil
Scotch McNeil Audio -

ScotchMcNeilAudio
Analog Enthusiast

Postby ScotchMcNeilAudio » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:19 pm

Hi Davide,

The 66 console will give you a bit of the Neve sound as it uses transformers on the inputs and the outputs. It's got a good sounding EQ as I mentioned earlier.
The 4 meterbridge mounted gate/limiter compressors are the same fitted to each channel of a V3 or VR console and these were also used in the V-Rack input modules. They sound good and I haven't heard anyone saying they sound bad.

Have a good listen to the console and you'll see how you can use it and how it sounds.

Regards,

McNeil
Scotch McNeil Audio -

ScotchMcNeilAudio
Analog Enthusiast

Postby frambi » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:33 pm

hi all !
very good idea this forum .
i just bye a neve 55 i hope i can ear in few weeks . do you know if the compressor of 55 are the same of 66 related in previous post ?
i don't know the 66 but it look not very far of 55 series ?
bye , and sorry for my english.
frambi
Analog Owner

55 series compressors

Postby ScotchMcNeilAudio » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:22 am

Hi Frambi,

The standard 55 limiter/compressor is usually mounted on the stereo output module. It's not as advanced as the 66/VR limiter compressor but still allows for limiting and compression. The gain make up is removed and the circuit controls this function automatically. The threshold is only available to what is the range of the pot (it doesn't have a pull function to change the threshold level) and the release doesn't have a click stop for the auto release function. The release does have an automatic detect to prevent breathing effect.
The compressor is still a vca control across both channels and the greater audio level of either channel will control the limiting function.

If you have one of the rarer features of limiter compressors in the upstand then you will have the same features as the 66 compressors.

I hope this information helps you!

Regards,

McNeil
Scotch McNeil Audio -

ScotchMcNeilAudio
Analog Enthusiast

Postby frambi » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:38 am

hi mcnell !
thanks for you answer ,I believed that the 66 was more neare r to the 55. . i did not know about compressor of 66.
for the moment my 55 is not yet goes up shes probably works next week it's for i don't see exactly all the features of compressor , o don't know if they are on groups or master .

it's very difficult to have information about this model because here a few people know about it , and very difficult to see one in function berfore buy it .. so i take this risk to buy one .
here in france a man of neve compagny ,said me it's a broadcast , with not good preamp not good eq for music , and problems with maintenance . i don't know if he say that to sell me differents outboard or it's true...
i don't have idea of the sound of this 55 , but i hope it's will be great after my protools.
thanks a lot for your information very invaluable .
frambi
Analog Owner

Re: Neve 66

Postby gigcity » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:39 am

Trying to locate 66store.exe and Comsport.cfg files. Does anyone have them?
gigcity
Analog Owner

Return to Neve Recording Consoles