Pan Pot slug resistor question

Twenty five years have passed since Trident Recording Studios made the decision to build their own Multitrack Recording Console.

Moderator: brianroth

Pan Pot slug resistor question

Postby Fleximan5 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi Guys
I recently rebuilt a Trident Fleximix console and replaced the original Omeg pan pots with Clarostat's from State Electronics. Both are 10K Log / anti-log.
The Fleximix manual calls out for 3.9K slug resistors for -3db at center. I tried this with the Clarostats and the middle location for the pot is too quiet (noticed some centered vocals printed too hot on a mix). There really doesn't seem to be a coherent image at center either.

So I am guessing the tapers must be different?

I tried the Clarostat w/o slug resistors and the center position was definitely hotter than L or R.

Can anyone help me determine what value to use? What should I listen for?

I've tried a few values from 4.75K to 10K (more values on order) but I am not sure how I'll know if it is dialed in properly?

It seems to me that If I have the wrong value resistor I can't hear the recorded sound's image sound pan coherently from left to right. I get the sensation that center just sounds like equal volume from left and right speakers...the image just blows out/seems too wide?
I didn't have this problem with the Omegs and the slug resistors varied from 2K to 14K!
I'd appreciate any suggestions.
All the Best
F5
Fleximan5
Analog Enthusiast

Re: Pan Pot slug resistor question

Postby Fleximan5 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:18 pm

OK .... Very interesting.
So I tried 11 different values of resistors and 5.11K Ohms was the only value that made the movement of the image (male vocal) detectably pan from left to right and seem to sit detectably in the center.

Other values made the sound sound hard panned L or R.

4.99K and 5.6K resistors didn't work.

I will be trying other values I can get between 5K to 5.6K to see if I can get any improvement.

All the Best
F5
Fleximan5
Analog Enthusiast

Re: Pan Pot slug resistor question

Postby Jim Williams » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:00 am

I would pick up a couple of resistor decade boxes. Those are pretty cheap at some places, try here:
www.mcmelectronics.com
You can connect two of them, one for each leg. Then select emperically and save a lot of time.

You can also check the taper of the older pots, I suspect they are not log/antilog but ruwedo style tapers, an "s" taper.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Jim Williams
Yacht Rocker

Return to Trident Recording Consoles