Trident Trimix Audiofad fader brushes..change?

Twenty five years have passed since Trident Recording Studios made the decision to build their own Multitrack Recording Console.

Moderator: brianroth

Trident Trimix Audiofad fader brushes..change?

Postby zilla » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Seem to have an intermittent problem where one channel crackles and/or cuts out, I then wiggle the fader up n down and as long as the signal going through is strong enough it is all fine.. Problem does not exist when PFL is selected to it sees to be at the fader stage?

Can't decide whether it's the channel input strip fader or the left side of the master fader but wondered if changing the brushes on the fader might help? Or can the carbon looking tracks wear out?

I have some spare Audiofad channel faders but don't have stereo pair master fader replacement so wondered if I could hope to fix this by swapping just the brushes from a replacement fader?

Would worn out fader parts cause intermittent signal and cutting out? It's hard to figure out cos its not consistent, if I leave the desk on it doesn't happen as much, if the desk is off overnight I'll get some issues when turned on until it settles in.. Although its pretty random, not to mention very annoying when it's happening..

Any help welcome.. Please? Thanks!

Zzilla
zilla
Analog Enthusiast

Re: Trident Trimix Audiofad fader brushes..change?

Postby Bill108 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:27 pm

Zzilla.......a fader lube will help, but most likely your carbon paths are worn. I have the same issues with some input faders. I bought some cleaner designed for plastic and it helps for a while.
Bill108
Analog Owner

Postby zilla » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:19 am

Much time later and i'm just replying... apologies...

Many thanks Bill... I have tried all sorts... Think my issue is not with the faders now that i've lived with it and tried stuff over time..

Crackles might be originating from the molex style connectors joining rear plates to the 'motherboard' base plate part? Cleaned stuff and had no issues for a while...

Still have periodic moments but have learnt to live with it..

For now.

Zz.
zilla
Analog Enthusiast

Postby jensenmann » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:50 am

Resolder all parts with mechanical stress. Pots, switches, connectors, etc.
Jens
jensenmann
Yacht Rocker

Postby zilla » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:43 pm

Whew... That's a big job for me... I'm not such a dab hand...

But thanks for the tip Jens, You could well be right...

I need a good, fast and not TOO expensive tech minded person who also resides down here on the South Coast!!!!

Tall order.... Small World?

Zz.
zilla
Analog Enthusiast

Postby jensenmann » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:49 pm

Which south coast on which continent?
Most moderators in this forum are freelance techs. Then there´s groupdiy.com where you can find someone for sure.
Jens
jensenmann
Yacht Rocker

Postby zilla » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:48 pm

Oops... Heheh oh yeah it's the World Wide Web!!

My bad, I'm on the South Coast UK in Hastings to be exact!!

1066 country.. I have had a load of recapping done by Rob Flinn who is a nice and fair guy but he lives a fair way away and for all kinds of bits n pieces for myself and a friend nearby with analogue gear it'd be great to have someone knowledgable, skilled and reasonable close by!

Probably a TALL order though...

Zz.
zilla
Analog Enthusiast

Return to Trident Recording Consoles