Omeg pots for Trident 24

Twenty five years have passed since Trident Recording Studios made the decision to build their own Multitrack Recording Console.

Moderator: brianroth

Omeg pots for Trident 24

Postby ampnerd » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:43 pm

Thinking of buying a Trident 24 locally and reached out to a tech friend to ask what I might be looking at maintenance wise to bring it back to good health. He suggested it will probably need some if not all new pots and switches and told me the brand I should use for replacement pots is Omeg? I've found the companies website but can't find any dealers in the US. Anyone out there have an idea where I might be able to get them over here and if not, where I might buy them in the UK as I don't believe you can buy directly from Omeg.

And what about switches, who makes those that would work in this board?

Thanks for reading!

Sean
ampnerd
Analog Enthusiast

Re: Omeg pots for Trident 24

Postby brianroth » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:37 am

While they are located in the UK, I've ordered various items from these folks and the service has been quite good:

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalo ... arbon.html

Bri
http://www.BrianRoth.com
Professional audio system design/service/custom equipment
brianroth
Yacht Rocker

Postby Jim Williams » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:08 pm

I'd try an ultrasonic bath first. With the cost of all new pots with labor you can buy a new console.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Jim Williams
Yacht Rocker

Postby ampnerd » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:52 am

Gents, thank you for the replies.

Brian, thanks for the resource to Audio Maintenance, I will check them out.

Jim, thank you very much for your reply. A ultrasonic bath was the first thing I thought of but when I asked the opinion of my local tech friend on the subject he said "with the age of those pots, they could get worse when you clean them", so I had counted that option out.

Funny thing is, the big selling point on the console is that it has "Jim Williams" mods to the center section which is very appealing to me ;-) So that begs the question, if I (buy it first) give it a bath and save some money over what I would have paid for all new pots and switches what would it cost to have Jim Williams do upgrades to the channel opamps??? ;-)

I had one of the early Toft ATB32's on their pilot program and did some experimenting with changing out the TLO72's for Burr Browns with fantastic results. And after reading your post about ideal opamps in Trident 80B's in this post (below) I'm very curious to see how far you could take a console like this.

http://analogconsole.com/viewtopic.php? ... 50335a4c58

Many thanks for your input guys.

Sean Beresford
ampnerd
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Jim Williams » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:11 am

I would try the bath on a couple of channels to try that out. Then you will know where it stands.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Jim Williams
Yacht Rocker

Postby AnalogStudio7 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:13 pm

I know this is an old post, but I thought that I'd chime in here.

I have been buying a lot of Omeg pots for our AMEk & trident consoles from GRS. I have been buying my switches from them too. So if any of you need some local (California USA) omeg pots, try GRS. grssystems.com.

Also, I don't think they list the pots and switches on their web site, now that I think about it. So you may want to email them. I usually talk with either Joe, Ted or Hollie at GRS. info@grssystems.com

Happy hunting!

Regards,

Greg
AnalogStudio7
Lake Forest, CA
AnalogStudio7
Lake Forest, CA 92630
USA
AnalogStudio7
Yacht Rocker

Return to Trident Recording Consoles