Soundcraft 8000 32 ch. on it's way...

Founded in 1973, Soundcraft first made its mark with the launch of the Series 1, the first mixing console in a flightcase.

Moderator: GJC Designs

Soundcraft 8000 32 ch. on it's way...

Postby Bleiz » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:18 am

Hi everyone, it's been 6 years now since my last posting here, now I'm about to grab an old 8000 console here in Sweden which according to the seller is in fully working/hassle-free order...remains to be checked and tested thorougly of course ;-) 1000 €...

What I'd like to know beforehand is:

1- what type of faders were used, read somewhere that it was alps for channels and P&G for groups?
The reason I ask is because I want to shop for missing and/or additional coloured faderknobs and need to know what type/sizes they are...

2-also read somewhere here or at gearlsutz that it was some tweak to get this PA desk to work properly in a controlroom regarding the monitor output ?!?

Thanks in advance an cheers :-)
Bleiz
Analog Enthusiast

Re: Soundcraft 8000 32 ch. on it's way...

Postby Jim Williams » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:22 am

Alps made two types of faders, wide and narrow. The older wide bodies have a fader tongue that is flat. Newer versions are like P+G tabs. P+G and TKD also use the same tab design.

I'm the fellow that did the control room monitor mods for the master section. It involves removing a switch and cutting/routing some traces. Then the Aux faders are used for control room monitoring with the solo switching assigned to it.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Jim Williams
Yacht Rocker

Postby Bleiz » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi Jim yes I know who you are and have also bought at kit from you for modding a Ghost console I had while living in France around 2010 if you remember ;-)

I have also read in previous threads here over the 8000 master section mods you suggest but would very much appreciate a bit more detailed instruction on this particular issue if you please, where to cut and remove etc even if you must have given this info several times before...cheers and thanks for the reply, it is the older alps w. the bottom tongue on the fdr buttons the seller told me today ;-)
Bleiz
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Bleiz » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:18 am

(I might have bought the mod-package for the Ghost from Creation audio labs but I remember we were in contact during that time ;-) )
Bleiz
Analog Enthusiast

Postby Bleiz » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:08 am

So again, Jim Williams or anyone, how do I proceed w. the monitoring mod from master to aux faders?
(what to do exactly)

Also what to do about some of the parametric double eq pots that are really stuck together, some 15 altogether, almost impossible to move independently...

I understand these questions have been up before but please bear w. me as I just got this console and want to get on, if the mastersection benefits from the mod I'd be happy to order info for this :-)
Live in Sweden so sending it via post isn't an option...

Cheers-
Bleiz
Analog Enthusiast

Return to Soundcraft Recording Consoles